Scarborough Castle, Scarborough
Scarborough Castle, Scarborough - Address, Phone Number
Address: Castle Road, Scarborough YO11 1HY, England
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 685 times in trip plans
Ancient Ruin, Castle, Historical Site, Architecture , Archaeological Site , Fort
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Scarborough Castle, Scarborough
The Scarborough Castle has been a site for settlement since the Iron Age and, later on, some Anglo-Scandinavians squatted here once upon a time. A medieval royal rock fortress situated on a steep cliff, the Brits can’t shut up about it! the Castle is a monument of national importance for the English.
The site has seen phases of development and decline for roughly 3000 years. The edifice we see today dates back to middle of the twelfth century. Once guarded as a crucial fortress on the Yorkshire coastline, the castle has been in ruins since the English Civil War.
The enchanting castle grounds and pathways tell a story of a time gone by. Information boards around the place guide you about historically important facts and events. But you don’t have to be a history buff to enjoy this one (though it helps if you are!)– A lot of people come to Scarborough Castle for the astounding panoramic view of the North and South Bay. The castle grounds are a great picnic spot and on a nice sunny day, and anyone without a camera is going to feel very annoyed with themselves.
- Climb fortress walls and get onto those viewing platforms to take in the breath taking view of the North Sea at one end and the town of Scarborough on the other.
- The tourist centre at the castle offers a chance for you to view all present remains and artefacts.
- Take a tour around the castle replete with interactive exhibitions.
- The castle regularly hosts events on the English heritage with themes based on medieval monarchs, pirates, Robinhood and more.
- Jousting competitions - Witness the sport of a different age.
- The history of music – performers present different forms of music and later explain how one is distinct from the others and how music has evolved over time.
- And who ever heard of an English castle without ghosts? Well, this one is known to have three.
Scarborough Castle Information
- It is a bit of a hike up to the castle and might prove to be strenuous if you are not it shape. Never fear! There is a taxi service that can drop you off at the castle.
- The castle makes for an entirely open air walk and the area is windy even on the sunniest of days. So dress accordingly.
- Pets are allowed in the castle grounds.
- Audio guides are available for the visitors.
- There is a small but lovely cafe facility available inside the castle best known for its cream tea.
- You will find the place packed during peak seasons and school vacations. Carry snacks to avoid long queues at the castle cafe.
- It is difficult to get around the castle for those in a wheelchair or with any form of mobility problems.
- Visit the churchyard nearby where Anne Bronte is buried.
- Discounts to families and overseas visitors are available on the Scarborough Castle website.
Scarborough Castle Ticket Prices
- £ 5.0 per adult, £ 3.0 per child under 5 to 15 years.
- Discounts are available online for families, overseas tourists etc.
Scarborough Castle Opening and Closing Hours
- The closing time varies with season, be sure to check on the website.
- The castle remains closed on weekdays during winter months. Details for the same can be found on the website.
How To reach Scarborough Castle by Public Transport
- Buses: Sandside E-bound– 6, Newcastle Packet– 6, Newcastle Packet W-bound– 6, Foreshore Road SW bound.
Restaurants Near Scarborough Castle
- Golden Grid
- Restaurant 55
- Harry Ramsdens
- Tricolours Restaurant
- The Albion,
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Scarborough before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Scarborough and book an accommodation of your choice.
Scarborough Castle Tickets And Tours
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best best of Scarborough