Scarborough Open Air Theatre, Scarborough
Scarborough Open Air Theatre, Scarborough - Address, Phone Number
Address: Burniston Road, Scarborough YO12 6PF, England
Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 933 times in trip plans
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Scarborough Open Air Theatre, Scarborough
With a seating capacity of 6500, SOAT happens to be the largest open air theatre in Europe. After an impressive renovation of £ 3 million, SOAT opened to audiences in 2010 and since then, the likes of Elton John, Kiri Ti-Kanawa, Leona Lewis, Jessie J, Boyzone and many more have graced the stage at SOAT annually.
SOAT hosts performances from March to September every year, giving audiences a complete concert experience of great view, praiseworthy ambience, fresh food and of course, a chance to see their favourite stars performing live.
The stage and the audience seats are situated on either side of the lake. Thanks to this arrangement you get an unblocked view of the performances and will no longer feel the need to blow your head off when the people in front of you choose to stand up. SOAT is well managed by security guards and friendly helpers.
When it is not occupied by glamorous singing starts, SOAT holds various events for families and school groups. ‘Family Fun Day’ is one such event where the children can spend the day with Bob the Builder and many other cartoon friends.
Scarborough Open Air Theatre Information
- The open air theatre has next to no protection from the tricky English weather. Bring a jacket or dress accordingly.
- Although it is always a smart idea to book tickets in advance, SOAT rarely ever completely sells out.
- Beer/Wine on the theatre premises are a little expensive.
- Limited restrooms available.
- SOAT does not allow you to bring your own food or drinks to the performances.
- Go early to avoid queuing hassles.
- Umbrellas are not allowed.
- If you find it difficult to find public transport, the town centre is only a 20 minute walk away from the theatre.
- Concerts at SOAT are usually short. The distance between the stage and the seating area makes you wish they had large screens and a better sound system.
Scarborough Open Air Theatre Ticket Prices
- Ticket prices vary from concert to concert.
- Tickets for other events such as ‘Family Fun Day’ are mostly priced around £ 10.
Scarborough Open Air Theatre Opening and Closing Hours
- Usually the musical concerts at SOAT begin at 08:30pm. Entry for audiences opens at 6pm and gates close at 8:30pm. The concerts end around 10pm.
- SOAT also hosts a few other events for families and school kids that take place during the day.
How To reach Scarborough Open Air Theatre by Public Transport
- Bus: Weydale Avenue (SE Bound) – 3, 843. Corner Café (SW-bound) – 3, 3A.Peasholm Gap – 3, 843
Restaurants Near Scarborough Open Air Theatre
- Blue Crush
- The Glass House Bistro
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Scarborough before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Scarborough and book an accommodation of your choice.
Scarborough Open Air Theatre Tickets And Tours
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best best of Scarborough
Scarborough Open Air Theatre, Scarborough Reviews - Write a Review
Fantastic venue... bars and toilets dotted about, so no mind numbing queues. Drink prices pretty reasonable too. We had great weather, I would imagine it would be miserable in the rain as there is NO cover!! Don't take a brolly it will be confiscated!!! However if you put it into a doggy poo bag you will be able to locate it from the shrubbery where it was flung, on your departure! Walk or taxi from town...not too far to walk, parking looked stressful to me! Jess Glynne was amazing ❤️️
First time here and have to admit it's an impressive set up. Went to see Tom Jones and as you might imagine it was a good turn out. I found the staff friendly and helpful but the the bar prices a bit eye watering but suppose that's the norm for these events. Enjoyed the night but still prefer the intimacy of an enclosed theatre like the Futurist.(oh forgot we are paying millions to pull that down)
Good open air venue, with great visibility and a good atmosphere. Facilities on site were rather lacking and over-priced however.
Good venue if weather ok. Slow to get out afterwards due to small exit
Visited out of season, so no shows until next year! Looking forward to coming back to see a show. Great location.