Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt296 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Westborough, Scarborough YO11 1JW, England, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +440-1723370540
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Gallery, Entertainment, Performance, Play, Theatre, Architecture
Radiating an old world charm, the SJT was the first ‘in the round’ theatre in Britain. Today the theatre attracts audiences from around the globe. With a seating arrangement that’s so close around the stage, you’re practically a part of the play! Don’t be surprised to find people in the first row occasionally moving their feet to make way for the actors. That’s how close you are!
SJT comprises of 2 halls – The Round with 404 seats in a round seating space and The McCarthy, a 165 seat cinema – and hosts 2 to 3 shows daily. The theatre is known to have premiered nearly all of playwright and director Alan Ayckbourn’s plays. Some marked favourites by Ayckbourn regularly appearing on the SJT stage are ‘Time of My Life’, “Life and Beth’ and ‘Arrivals and Departures’.
Andrew Martin’s ‘The Last Train to Scarborough’ is much cherished by SJT audiences for its exceptionally engaging cast and gripping plot. ‘Taste of Honey’ too attracts theatre enthusiasts from far and wide. The theatre is committed to encouraging works by newer writers as well. Numerous workshops and classes are conducted for the community and small projects are also undertaken by SJT.
No matter what the play, visitors come out praising the quality performances at SJT. It is not uncommon for audiences to designate the vitality of the SJT stage a higher place than the productions at West End!
- This intimate and cozy theatre boasts of a fine bar and restaurant as well.
- A small gallery exhibits the works of local and national artists and is free for the visitors.
- The theatre shop is one of the largest sellers of play scripts in Yorkshire and stocks every published play of Alan Ayckbourn.
- Backstage tours and post-performance interactions with the cast are also offered.
An evening spent at the SJT will leave you envying the fine people of Scarborough.
Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt Travel Tips
- (+44) 01723 370541
- Disabled and wheelchair friendly halls and restrooms.
- Captioned and audio described productions are also held at SJT. Check schedule online.
- The staff can assist you with any specific seating requirement that you may have.
- Concessions on ticket prices are available online on the SJT website.
- Drinks at the SJT bar are a little on the expensive side.
- It is advised that you make your play bookings at an early date (at least 2 weeks in advance) because the tickets are sold out fast.
Entrance Ticket Details For Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt
- £ 2.5 to £ 24.5 per person.
- The ticket prices vary from play to play and from season to season.
Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt Hours
- The gallery remains open from Monday to Saturday at 12.00 pm to 06.00 pm except when performances are going on.
How to Reach Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt
- Bus: West Square bus stop V – 2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 36, 120, 121, 555, 843, X43. Westborough bus stop N – 5, 6, 10, 36, 63
- Train: Stop R – 2, 6, 13, 14, 15, 120. Stop S – 10. Stop T – 11, 115, 119, 555, 843
- The Green Room
- Mother Hubbard
- Memossa Pizzeria
- Hong Kong Restaurant
- Brasserie Marmalade's
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Scarborough before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Scarborough and book an accommodation of your choice.
75.13% of people who visit Scarborough include Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
56.07% of people start their Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt
93.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Stephen Joseph Theatre Or Sjt