Aoba Castle169 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Japan, Yubinbango 980-0862 Miyagi Prefecture, Sendai, Aoba Ward, tower stand Aoba Castle, Sendai-shi
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +81-222220218
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Castle, Family And Kids
It's a little humorous that a city's main attraction is a whole lot of nothing. This is where the Aoba Castle USED to be. The poor structure, once a grand and mighty edifice built during beginning of the Edo period, was repeatedly destroyed by earthquakes. Then came the Meiji Restoration and the Allied bombings of WWII, leaving naught but a husk of the former fortification. At this point, the only item of worth noticing here is the statue of feudal lord Date Masamune on horseback. There is a museum nearby on the history of the castle. Also nearby is a shrine with a small museum on military history. But before you move on, make sure to take in the view. The castle was built on a plateau atop a high hill, and the panorama of Sendai you get from here is unbeatable. You can climb up the hill if you wish, for some gruelling exercise. The view at night is quite nice too.
How to Reach Aoba Castle
- 20 min. by car from JR Sendai Station.
- 25 min. by Loople Sendai sightseeing bus from JR Sendai Station, get off at “Sendai-joseki” bus stop.
- Tozai Subway Line from Sendai Station to International Center (Kokusai Center).
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sendai-shi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sendai-shi and book an accommodation of your choice.
41.42% of people who visit Sendai-shi include Aoba Castle in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
78.13% of people start their Aoba Castle visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Aoba Castle
65.38% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Aoba Castle