Focusing on the history and origins of the city with a special look into the life and achievements of Masumune Date, this museum is probably the first one you want to visit on your trip to Sendai. It will give you great perspective into the city, even though as a museum you'll probably find better ones elsewhere. Altogether, the museum's collections number about 90,000 artefacts covering history, culture, and arts and crafts. Only about a thousand items are shown in the permanent exhibition at any one time. These are constantly cycled so every trip to the museum feels like a fresh one. However, they do follow a common theme - prehistoric era, Masumune Date's origins, the castle and the territory and the city's modern history.
Sendai City Museum Travel Tips
- Wheelchair accessible.
Entrance Ticket Details For Sendai City Museum
- 200 yen for high school students (160 in groups of 30+)
- 100 yen for Elementary and Junior High (80 yen for groups of 30+)
Sendai City Museum Hours
- Last admission at 4:15 p.m.
- Between 10am and 3pm, volunteer guides can take around small groups.
- Closed Mondays (except on holidays or substitute holidays); on days after holidays or substitute holidays (open on Sat., Sunday and holidays).
How to Reach Sendai City Museum
- 25 min. by Loople Sendai sightseeing bus from JR Sendai Station, get off at “Sendai-joseki” bus stop
- Tozai Subway Line from Sendai Station to International Center (Kokusai Center)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sendai-shi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sendai-shi and book an accommodation of your choice.
27.35% of people who visit Sendai-shi include Sendai City Museum in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
73.08% of people start their Sendai City Museum visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Sendai City Museum
53.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sendai City Museum