Sendai Mediatheque149 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 10:00 pm]
- Address: Japan, Yubinbango 980-0821 Miyagi Prefecture, Sendai, Aoba-ku, Kasuga-cho, 2-1, Sendai-shi
- Timings: 09:00 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-227133171
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Library, Family And Kids
Boil this place down to its very basic and it is essentially just a decent library. But visitors and locals of the city alike tend to freak out over its impressive architectural achievement. The most prominent feature is the transparent glass facade. The vertical steel latticeworks that rise up to the building are naked to the eye and give the structure a very free-flowing impression. You should get somebody knowledgeable at the library to explain all the architectural subtleties to you. Completed in 2001, it was envisioned as an interactive Cultural Center, a goal it has kept quite well. The center has art galleries and special event area. A beautiful zelkova tree line avenue leads up to the library.
Sendai Mediatheque Travel Tips
- Check out the cafe and the shop.
- Free Wi-Fi on the 2nd and 7th floors.
- Paid parking in the basement.
Sendai Mediatheque Hours
- 5th/6th floor, Gallery 3300/4200: 10:00AM-7:00PM.
- 3rd/4th floor Sendai Shimin Library (including 2nd-floor Children's Library): 10:00AM-8:00PM (10:00AM-6:00PM on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays)
- Closed on fourth Thursday of month.
How to Reach Sendai Mediatheque
- On the subway bound for Izumi-Chuo, stop Kotodai-Koen Station.
- On bus bound for Kotsukyoku-Daigakubyoin via Jozenji-dori, stop Sendai Mediatheque-mae stop.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sendai-shi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sendai-shi and book an accommodation of your choice.
84.66% of people who visit Sendai-shi include Sendai Mediatheque in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
34.48% of people start their Sendai Mediatheque visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Sendai Mediatheque
71.43% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sendai Mediatheque
Sendai Mediatheque Reviews & Ratings
Great place to read and rent books and magazines. Small selection of English and other foreign language books. You can also watch or rent DVD.
Unique architecture. The displays are mostly in Japanese so this could limit appreciation from non-Japanese readers.
Quiet and good place for reading books and thinking.
Love the library floor. It's very comfortable, and I think I could sit here for hours having wonderful books. ❤️
Weird but there were some nice pieces of art.