Visit Shanghai - Best of Shanghai
Often abbreviated as Hu or Shen in the traditional Chinese slang, Shanghai is one of the most popular cities in China and is also the second most populous city in the country with a population of over 24 million people as of 2015. Located on the estuary of the Yangtze River, Shanghai is a popular tourist destination in China and attracts visitors from all over the world. It further serves as a hub for global, economic, financial, and cultural exchanges in the East Asia.
What makes Shanghai a popular destination is its ability to retain the cultural and the traditional essence of its colonial past even after so many years of modernization resulting in a perfect blend of the traditional and the modern influences. A combination of the Western and the Chinese customs together form the base for the excellent culture of Shanghai. Visit this pulsating, prosperous, and historic city of Shanghai which is also called the 'Paris of the East' to relive the nostalgic days of the classical Chinese era.
International travelers traveling to Shanghai have an advantage. There is a 144-hour visa-free travel transit that is available for passengers from 51 different countries which allows the visitors from these countries to transit within the regions of Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang without a visa for a maximum of 144 hours.
From gorgeous night scenes to sky-high buildings to spectacular neon lights to oriental spots, there is a wide array of attractions and things to do in Shanghai. Take a stroll across the waterfront area of The Bund to watch the ships drift along the waters and admire the architectural beauty of the buildings that decorate the area. Unleash your love for shopping in Nanjing Road which is considered as one of the busiest shopping streets not just in Shanghai but in the whole world and soak in every ounce of Shanghai by exploring the city to its fullest.
Shanghai Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Shanghai tips for your visit
- Time Zone - China Standard Time (CST). UTC/GMT +8hours.
- Currency - Chinese Yuan (CNY). It is also known as Renminbi (RMB).
- Electricity - The electrical voltage in Shanghai is 220 Volts 50 Hertz Alternating Current. Most hotels and households have 3 pronged UK style sockets or Indian style sockets. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet - Almost all the hotels in Shanghai provide free WI-FI connectivity and there are plenty of free Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the city, especially in the major public spots. But due to Internet censorship, you may not be able to visit major social media sites.
- Languages - Mandarin is the widely spoken language in Shanghai. Although, you will find the locals speaking Shanghainese.
- Security - Police: 110, Fire Department: 119, Ambulance: 120.
- Off-beaten Path - Skip the fancy restaurants and eat in the roadside eateries.
- Tipping - There is no tipping culture in Shanghai and it is not mandatory too. But if you are interested in tipping, you can. It is not frowned upon.
- Tourist Traps - Be wary of the strangers who are overwhelmingly kind towards you and are fluent in English. There is a huge probability for them to be scammers.
- Customs - Greet people with a handshake and maintain eye contact. Also, receiving and exchanging gifts are a big part of the Chinese culture.
- Avoid shopping in the malls, they are too pricey. Instead, try shopping in the streets and don't forget to bargain.
- Do not spit in the public. You might be fined with a hefty amount.
- Taxis registration numbers that start with BX or DX are best avoided. They are run privately and can be very difficult to trace if you lose anything inside the cab.
- It is advisable to buy the electronic appliances from authorized shops.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Shanghai and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Shanghai- Know before you go to Shanghai
Facts and Stats for Shanghai*
Pollution Statistics in Shanghai
Know the pollution level of Shanghai before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 81.39 (Very High)
Water Pollution 74.07 (High)
Noise and Light Pollution 64.12 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 50.59 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 65.77 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 49.38 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 69.6 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 53.7 (Moderate)
Shanghai: Crime and Safety
How safe is Shanghai for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Shanghai.
Burglary and Theft 47.24 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 46.08 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 43.17 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 64.82 (High)
Car Stealing 45.74 (Moderate)
Robbery of Car belongings 49.56 (Moderate)
Attacks 42.59 (Moderate)
Drug offense 45.38 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 63.89 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 55.2 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 46.24 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 43.42 (Moderate)
Property crimes and Vandalism 52.47 (Moderate)
Living in Shanghai - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Shanghai is 75.95 (Moderate)
Safety Index 52.61 (Moderate)
Climate Index 83.41 (Very High)
Pollution Index 83.2 (Very High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 47.32 (High)
Cost of Living Index 55.77 (Low)
Health Care Index 59.24 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 44.78 (Very High)
Purchasing Power Index 69.08 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Shanghai
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Shanghai
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.04 USD
International Movie per seat 9.48 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 38.61 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 105.49 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 84.49 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Shanghai Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Shanghai
Shanghai Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Shanghai
3 Reviews Duration: Flexible
Avoid the stress of finding a taxi and carrying your luggage when you arrive in Shanghai! Be greeted by a professional driver...
USD 38.99Book Now
10 Reviews Duration: 4 Hrs
Multi-theme small group bicycle rides to introduce you in an interactive and entertaining way to the many faces of the local ...
USD 72.53Book Now
3 Reviews Duration: 3 Hrs 30 Mins
Enjoy and discover Chinese culture and Chinese cooking basics from this 3.5 hours Chinese cooking class and wet market visit
USD 65Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 7 Hrs
Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism are essential spiritual pillars of all people with Chinese blood. Boasting the sole ancient...
USD 81Book Now
- Cities Near Shanghai
- Suzhou Tourism
- Wuxi Tourism
- Huzhou Tourism
- Ningbo Tourism
- Yixing Tourism
- Hangzhou Tourism
- Yangzhou Tourism
- Gaoyou Tourism
- Nanjing Tourism
- Top cities from China
- Beijing Tourism
- Shenyang Tourism
- Xian Tourism
- Shenzhen Tourism
- Qingdao Tourism
- Huangshan Tourism
- Nanning Tourism
- Ziyang Tourism
- Aba Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Ejutla De Crespo Tourism
- Urgench Tourism
- Aliceville Tourism