Visit Sharjah - Best of Sharjah
The third largest city in the UAE, Sharjah might not impress you with looming buildings and a dazzling atmosphere like Dubai would. But it will definitely leave you in awe of its underrated beauty, fascinating culture and an interesting history. Having the recognition of being the ‘Capital of Islamic Culture’, the city is also the capital of the emirate of Sharjah.
Historically, the emirate of Sharjah was one of the wealthiest towns in the region. It was around the year 1727 that the Al Qasimi clan took over the administration of the region and has been ruling it since then. In fact, Al Qasimi (also written as Al Qassimi) is one of the six ruling families of UAE.
If you embark on a Sharjah city tour, you will come across quaint mosques, ages old yet bustling souks (markets), museums that are trying to preserve the history and culture of the region, huge malls and the historical Sharjah Fort- Al Hisn. Want to know more about the city? Allow us to be your Sharjah travel guide.
Trivia: Did you know that Sharjah is the twin city of the Spanish city of Granada?
Sharjah Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Sharjah tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Gulf Time Zone (UTC +04:00)
- Currency: United Arab Emirates Dirham (AED)
- Electricity and Internet: Voltage: 220-240 Volts (U.S./Canada are 110-120 Volts). Primary Socket Types: Euro, British, Indian. Internet in the form of Wi-Fi is available in most of the hotels and accommodations.
- Languages: While the official language is Arabic, the residents of Sharjah understand and speak Urdu and English as well.
- Police: 06-999
- Ambulance: 06-998
- Al Kuwaiti Hospital: 06-5242111
- Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority: 06-5566777
- Off-beaten Path: There are a few quaint churches in Sharjah. Do explore them in your free time. Do check out the enormous Sharjah Fish Market as well.
- Tipping: Tipping is not expected in the Arab countries as a service charge is generally added to the bills in hotels and restaurants. However, it is appreciated. A couple of AEDs should do the trick.
- Men as well as women, refrain from wearing clothes that are too revealing.
- If you are visiting as a couple, completely avoid public displays of affection (including hugging).
- During the holy month of Ramadan, it is not considered polite to eat, drink and smoke in public areas.
- Criticizing the religion of Islam, showing disrespect towards the nation and its flag and the royal family may be considered as a punishable offence and can lead to imprisonment.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in Sharjah. You need to acquire a license for the same.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Sharjah and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Sharjah- Know before you go to Sharjah
Facts and Stats for Sharjah*
Pollution Statistics in Sharjah
Know the pollution level of Sharjah before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 55.88 (Moderate)
Water Pollution 42.65 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 48.53 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 42.65 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 34.38 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 35.29 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 50 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 41.18 (Moderate)
Sharjah: Crime and Safety
How safe is Sharjah for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Sharjah.
Burglary and Theft 25 (Low)
Mugging and Robbery 26.47 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 22.06 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 27.94 (Low)
Car Stealing 20.59 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 29.41 (Low)
Attacks 26.47 (Low)
Drug offense 29.41 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 88.24 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 67.65 (High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 13.24 (Very Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 14.71 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 25 (Low)
Living in Sharjah - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Sharjah is 145.58 (High)
Safety Index 73.78 (High)
Climate Index 43.42 (Moderate)
Pollution Index 56.06 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 56.71 (High)
Cost of Living Index 59.74 (Low)
Health Care Index 55.34 (Moderate)
Property Price to Income Ratio 3.84 (Very Low)
Purchasing Power Index 119.05 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Sharjah
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Sharjah
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.15 USD
International Movie per seat 9.53 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 49.1 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 76.69 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 52.1 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Sharjah Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Sharjah
Sharjah Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Sharjah
2 Reviews Duration: 5 Hrs
Spend a thrilling evening in the desert. Enjoy a drive over the sand dunes followed by a barbecue dinner and live entertainme...
USD 59.04Book Now
Duration: 5 Hrs
Explore the city at your its best with this tour. You soend less time to explore more of the city with this tour.This tour wi...
USD 44.93Book Now
Duration: 9 Hrs
Explore the Northern Emirates on this full day tour . An experienced guide will show you the most important sights of Ras Al ...
USD 71.81Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 4 Hrs
Leaving Sharjah drive to the vast desert and enjoy a short drive over the red dunes before taking part in the exhilarat...
USD 55Book Now
- Cities Near Sharjah
- Ajman Tourism
- Mirdif Tourism
- Deira Tourism
- International City Tourism
- Dubai Tourism
- Margham Tourism
- Fujairah Tourism
- Abu Dhabi Tourism
- United Arab Emirates Tourism
- Top cities from United Arab Emirates
- Al Riffa Tourism
- Al Aqah Tourism
- Al Manama Tourism
- Mirbah Tourism
- Maleha Tourism
- Ras Al-khaimah Tourism
- Al Dhaid Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Burauen Tourism
- Dalyellup Tourism
- İstanbuldere Köyü Tourism