Tropical Butterfly HouseCurrently Closed
- Address: Tropical Butterfly House, Woodsetts Road, Hunger Hill Farm, North Anston, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S25 4EQ, UK, S25 4EQ, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +44-0190956941
- Fax: +44-01909564025
- Ticket Price: 8 GBP
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Wildlife Sanctuary , Zoo, Play Ground, Educational Site, Cafe, Family And Kids, Nature, Exhibition , Landmarks, Parks, Natural Parks
Prepare to be transported into a Disney Dream World, where trilling Sparrows perch upon your palms and Meerkats peek at you while munching on their meal. Fresh, green leaves will surround you and your loved ones as you wander through this soothing, organic environment. This is also a fabulous place to learn about animals, while admiring them at the same time. Interactive, intriguing and inspiring, the Tropical Butterfly House, Wildlife and Falconry Centre in Sheffield will foster joy in the hearts of everyone –young and old.
The Tropical Butterfly House is a sultry enclosure, where butterflies of different sizes and colours flit and flutter through the air. Accompanying these flickering fairies are feisty birds and Egyptian fruit bats, singing and gliding through the air. As wings stretch out up above you, you’ll find an incredible array of life just around your ankles! Cute Iguanas and sneaky Chameleons will slyly watch you from behind green leaves and down below, all kinds of bugs, including glow in the dark Scorpions, go on with their daily business. The Meerkat Mansion is the abode of a family of adorable, fuzzy meerkats. What initially started out as 3 meerkats has now grown to a family of 14 all headed by Mrs. Meerkat.
Come and meet Simples, Fizzy, Buttons, Crunchie, Twix and the whole large eyed, button nosed gang! The Small Animal House is sure to be a huge hit with little kids as it’s home to the Centre’s tiniest members, namely the guinea pigs, rabbits, chicks and chipmunks. Lemur Heights, the newest exhibit, is a walk-through Lemur enclosure where these extraverted little guys roam freely.
There are also more interactive areas, where you can feed the animals and watch some of them perform incredible tricks. You can tip toe around the ducks and geese in the Farm Barn and offer them some munchies in return for their friendship. Gloriously large Giant Continental Rabbits await you, as does Corrie the Shetland Pony! Animal food is purchasable in the premises. The most spectacular exhibit, titled Birds of Prey, feature large Owls, Falcons, Hawks, Kites, Vultures and more! This is where you’ll meet Jet, Sonic and Rogue, Black Kite siblings determined to show off their aerial acrobatics, as are the McCawsAlfie, Kato, Che, Esteban.
The real star of the program is Odin, a raven who solves puzzles, paints and plays fetch with aplomb. Another treat is the daily Parrot Display; colourful and remarkably talented birds from Australia, South America and Africa who spend their hours playing basketball, skateboarding and chatting up whoever’s closest!
After playing with and learning about all these critters, you can finally relax at Butterfly Cafe. Kids can tumble around in the Realm of Camelot adventure playground or channelize their energy creatively at the indoor Activity and Craft Center. This beautiful place is also a great site for picnics and birthday parties, both of which they make special arrangements for.
- You can’t feed Corrie the Shetland pony due to her delicate digestive system.
- The birds used in the displays may vary as they allow all of their birds’ time to rest from demonstrations. The free-flying bird displays may not take place or may be shortened due to adverse weather conditions – if this is the case, the Presenters will announce any changes to the scheduled show and put on an alternative encounter wherever possible.
- If you have a pet parrot you’d like trained, you can do that here!
- Feel free to ask as many questions as you’d like.
- No dogs or pets are allowed on site.
- CCTV is in use throughout the premises and you may be featured in photographs for marketing/advertising purposes.
- Child: £7.95 (Under 3 years of age are admitted free of cost).
- Explorer Family Pass: £32 (for 2 adults and 2 children); Ranger Family Pass: £40 (for 2 adults and 3 children).
- Student/OAP: £8.50 (for Student or NUS Card to be presented to claim student concession).
- Tropical Butterfly House Membership: Adults £40.00, Children £32.00, OAP/Student £38.00.
- An official care taker will be admitted free of charge when accompanying a full paying child or adult.
- Timings for school and Bank holidays: 10:00am - 5:30pm.
- The nearest train stations are Worksop (5 miles away) and Kiveton Park (3 miles away).
- Bus services operate from Rotherham, Sheffield and Worksop – please contact South Yorkshire Travel Line on +44-1709515151 for further information.
- Cafe Rouge (French/Moderate)
- Anston Chinese (Chinese/Moderate)
- The Royal Elephant Restaurant (Thai)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sheffield before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sheffield and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Sheffield include Tropical Butterfly House in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
91.67% of people start their Tropical Butterfly House visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Tropical Butterfly House
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tropical Butterfly House
First time visit. What a gem of a place. So much more than butterflies. Brilliant for children although our party of 4 adults enjoyed it just as much. Can buy food to feed certain animals which I did. Trimmed up brilliantly for Christmas. Staff very informative and friendly.
Brilliant place for a day out, with kids or without. Lots to see and do. Nice range of different animals and bird, not just a butterfly house, which is great to be inside. A bit warm, esp in mid summer, but great to see the tropical plants, birds and butterflies everywhere! Souvenir shop is reasonably priced. Food here was really really nice in the quaint coffee shop just before the entrance. Both myself and my partner enjoyed the cooked sandwiches and cappuccino. Really do recommend it for s day out doing sth different.
Fantastic place, kids really enjoyed it and there was a huge variety of attractions to keep them interested. The outdoor play areas were great. We ate in the cafe and the food was good, reasonably priced and very friendly service.
Really great place to visit. So much more than butterflies. Brilliant for kids and adults. Nice food at the cafe and staff very friendly and helpful.
Been coming here since I was a kid. It still has the magic to it. A very enjoyable experience and also very educational. The shows are fantastic and the staff are very helpful. The food isn't too badly priced and the playground for the kids is amazing .