About Ganryujima (shimonoseki), Shimonoseki
Ganryū-jima (巌流島, formerly Funa-jima 船島) is an island in Japan located between Honshū and Kyūshū, and accessible via ferry from Shimonoseki Harbor (下関港). It is famous for the duel between Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojirō. The small island was named for its boat-like appearance, and later came to be called after the Ganryū kenjutsu school Kojirō had founded. On the island are a few monuments as well as facilities for public gatherings such as an annual tug-of-war. Along the west coast is a walking path, while the other side remains fenced off. New Japan Pro Wrestling held two matches on the island. On October 4, 1987, Antonio Inoki defeated Masa Saito. On December 18, 1991, Hiroshi Hase defeated Tiger Jeet Singh.Wikipedia
Overview of Ganryujima (shimonoseki)
On your visit to Shimonoseki, consider visiting Ganryujima (shimonoseki). Ganryujima (shimonoseki) is not the prime point of interest of Shimonoseki. Although, you can pay a quick visit to it if you are around.
More about Shimonoseki
Find the joy in planning a D.I.Y. trip by using this awesome Shimonoseki trip planner.
You can enjoy a comfortable stay in the city by booking the best hotels in Shimonoseki like Ailinn Kokura, Bluewave Inn Kokura, Hotel Crown Palais Kokura and Kokura Bran Chapel Christmas (adult Only).
Share your experience - Rate Ganryujima (shimonoseki), Shimonoseki
If you know the fight between Musashi and Kojiro, you'd better come. It is fun to travel back and forth by ships.
This is the island where Musashi fought his duel with Sasaki Kojiro. If you are interested in Japanese history, it is a good place to go. You can ramble around the island and chill out a little bit.
The island is very smal with no shops or anyone living there for long time.The name of the Island was Funejima after the defeat from Musashi the Island name changed to Ganryujima to Honor Sasaki Kojirō who real name was Ganryū Kojirō . The place Is like a big park empty with symbolic grave for Sasaki Kojiro who was defeated by Miyamoto Musashi. You have to get a ferry and takes 10 minutes arrive. Also you can find Statue from this two great Samurais and one boat at the beach where Musashi arrived and fight with Kojiro. (symbolic not the real one) At the duel Musashi arrived late making Kojiro impatient and upseted.Some legends say Kojiro was not able to see Musashi really well because his position looking at the sea at Sunset. what may be the mistake that took his life.but this are all legends.
Famous battle field of Kengo!
Not so much to see but if you're interested by samurai you'll enjoyed it !
- Other Attractions
- Red Valley
- Ozkonak Underground City
- Haji Bektash Veli Complex
- Urgup Museum
- Nevsehir Museum
- Gore Harabeleri
- Forum Kapadokya
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 5 Star Hotels Near Red Valley
- 5 Star Hotels Near Kaymakli
- Cheap Hotels Near Ozkonak Underground City
- Cheap Hotels Near Haji Bektash Veli Complex
- Hotels Near Sarihan
- Hotels Near Urgup Museum
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Nevsehir Museum
- Budget Hotels Near Gore Harabeleri
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Turasan
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Forum Kapadokya
- City Tripplans
- 27 Day Trip to Japan from Singapore
- 3 Day Trip to Shimonoseki from Hakata
- 14 Day Trip to Tokyo, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Hirosaki, Shimonoseki from Herriman
- 3 Day Trip to Shimonoseki from Kyoto
- 3 Day Trip to Shimonoseki from Pasay
- 3 Day Trip to Shimonoseki from Quezon City
- 2 Day Trip to Shimonoseki from Shimonoseki
- 5 Day Trip to Shimonoseki from Sydney