Siem Reap Tourism
Also known as the life-support system of the enchanting world of Angkor Wat, Siem Reap is the capital of the province that goes by the same name in Northern Cambodia. Even though Cambodia in our minds gets a very conventional image of a temple city of olden times, Siem Reap adds vibrancy and colors to that image in unimaginable ways. With its bars and effort to stay ahead with the times, this city has slowly become a representation of a modern day Cambodia. There are some places that offer you an amalgamation of traditional roots and modern day lifestyle. Siem Reap for one would offer you a different experience at every nook and corner. Just as you would feel, that all the authenticity that you came for is lost, its rural beauty would completely shatter that notion.
While you are busy getting accustomed to all that Siem Reap is offering to you, is when the magic of Angkor would completely take you over. That is exactly when you would realize that no number of days are enough to savor the beauty of Angkor Wat. The Angkor Archaeological Park is sure to take you on a trip back in time. For some reason, Siem Reap literally means “Siem defeated”- but today it is a booming town with a lot of visual quality added to it.
The fact is that Cambodian culture is not really lost back in time. Even though it does not feature prominently on tourism map of the world, but Siem Reap is known to have revived Cambodia tourism and its culture and both very efficiently. So while your spiritual side is on a journey of its own, you can explore yourself in ways that you’ve never before while exploring the magnificent city of Siem Reap!
Essential travel information and Siem Reap tips for your visit
- Time Zone- Indochina Time Zone
- Cambodian Riel
Electricity and Internet
- 230 V. Internet cannot be found everywhere, except for most places of accommodation.
- Although Khmer is the main language spoken here, Siem Reap has understanding of English too as it is the main tourist hub of the country.
- Fire Department (24 hour) T: 023 723 555
- Police (24 Hour) T: 023 366 841; 023 720 235
- Traffic Police T: 023 722 067
- Ambulance T: 023 724 891
- US Embassy: For emergencies during business hours call (023) 728 281; 023 728 051; 023 728 234. Outside of normal business hours call 023 728 000.
- UK Embassy: T: 023 427124. Outside of normal business hours call 023 427 124; 023 428 153.
- Australian Embassy: T: 023 213 470
- If caught with drugs, you would be imprisoned for a long time and heavy fine will be levied.
- Avoid eating sea food from the Siem Reap street vendors. The lack of refrigeration of this food might affect your health.
- Avoid tap water and used bottled water at all times.
- Do not go cycling with a lot of money. Keep your money in your place of accommodation.
- You can choose to Volunteer as most government schools need it and it will be an enriching experience for you too!
- See Khmer Dance performance by children of Acodo.
- See a cello concert by Children.
- Take a Khmer cuisine cooking class. It is a great experience.
- It is not customary and hence you can tip when you wish to, if you like the service. But we strongly advise you to tip as the salaries here are not very high.
- Don’t get fooled into buying milk powder for strangers’ babies!
- The massage girls can add a lot of cost unnecessarily. Decide a price in advance.
- The duty free shop is said to highly rip you off. Keep in mind before purchasing.
- Do not go to the orphanages- tourists are advised against it.
Siem Reap Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Siem Reap. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Siem Reap trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Siem Reap