Visit Siem Reap - Best of Siem Reap
Also known as the life-support system of the enchanting world of Angkor Wat, Siem Reap is the capital of the province that goes by the same name in Northern Cambodia. Even though Cambodia in our minds gets a very conventional image of a temple city of olden times, Siem Reap adds vibrancy and colors to that image in unimaginable ways. With its bars and effort to stay ahead with the times, this city has slowly become a representation of a modern day Cambodia. There are some places that offer you an amalgamation of traditional roots and modern day lifestyle. Siem Reap for one would offer you a different experience at every nook and corner. Just as you would feel, that all the authenticity that you came for is lost, its rural beauty would completely shatter that notion.
While you are busy getting accustomed to all that Siem Reap is offering to you, is when the magic of Angkor would completely take you over. That is exactly when you would realize that no number of days are enough to savor the beauty of Angkor Wat. The Angkor Archaeological Park is sure to take you on a trip back in time. For some reason, Siem Reap literally means “Siem defeated”- but today it is a booming town with a lot of visual quality added to it.
The fact is that Cambodian culture is not really lost back in time. Even though it does not feature prominently on tourism map of the world, but Siem Reap is known to have revived Cambodia tourism and its culture and both very efficiently. So while your spiritual side is on a journey of its own, you can explore yourself in ways that you’ve never before while exploring the magnificent city of Siem Reap!
Siem Reap Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Siem Reap tips for your visit
- Time Zone- Indochina Time Zone
- Cambodian Riel
Electricity and Internet
- 230 V. Internet cannot be found everywhere, except for most places of accommodation.
- Although Khmer is the main language spoken here, Siem Reap has understanding of English too as it is the main tourist hub of the country.
- Fire Department (24 hour) T: 023 723 555
- Police (24 Hour) T: 023 366 841; 023 720 235
- Traffic Police T: 023 722 067
- Ambulance T: 023 724 891
- US Embassy: For emergencies during business hours call (023) 728 281; 023 728 051; 023 728 234. Outside of normal business hours call 023 728 000.
- UK Embassy: T: 023 427124. Outside of normal business hours call 023 427 124; 023 428 153.
- Australian Embassy: T: 023 213 470
- If caught with drugs, you would be imprisoned for a long time and heavy fine will be levied.
- Avoid eating sea food from the Siem Reap street vendors. The lack of refrigeration of this food might affect your health.
- Avoid tap water and used bottled water at all times.
- Do not go cycling with a lot of money. Keep your money in your place of accommodation.
- You can choose to Volunteer as most government schools need it and it will be an enriching experience for you too!
- See Khmer Dance performance by children of Acodo.
- See a cello concert by Children.
- Take a Khmer cuisine cooking class. It is a great experience.
- It is not customary and hence you can tip when you wish to, if you like the service. But we strongly advise you to tip as the salaries here are not very high.
- Don’t get fooled into buying milk powder for strangers’ babies!
- The massage girls can add a lot of cost unnecessarily. Decide a price in advance.
- The duty free shop is said to highly rip you off. Keep in mind before purchasing.
- Do not go to the orphanages- tourists are advised against it.
Are you looking for a Siem Reap travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Siem Reap Tourist Information
Siem Reap Itineraries
Siem Reap Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Siem Reap
Save 7%Siem Reap Street Food Evening Tour59 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
Taste the best of Siem Reaps street food on a 3-hour night tour! Hop on a remork-moto (a motorized rickshaw) and ride off the...
Full-day Small-Group Angkor Wat Tour from Siem Reap36 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
On this small-group tour, visit most highlighted temples on acircuit throughthe UNESCO-listed Angkor Archaeological Park. Sto...Book Now
Full-Day Angkor Tour by Tuk Tuk from Sunrise35 Reviews
To add a special touch to master the magnificence of Angkor in one full day, your means of transportation will be a local Tuk...Book Now
Private Full-Day Angkor Temple and Sunset Viewing59 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
This full-day tour allows plenty of time to enjoy the majesty and awe of the temples of Angkor. Explore, climb and have the e...Book Now
Popular Hotels in Siem ReapView all Hotels in Siem Reap
More about Siem Reap
Places to Enjoy Breathtaking Sunrises around the Globe!Places to Enjoy Breathtaking Sunrises around the Globe!: Catch the most breathtaking sunrises around the globe at these 6 places.
20 Most Stunning Ancient Ruins Across The WorldMost stunning ruins across the world: Explore world's most visited ancient ruins around the globe and see for yourself and make your travel life fulfill.
Here's What To Do In Cambodia!Here's a list of what to do in Cambodia. Explore the spiritual haven of South-Asia, the land of temples, trekking and floating villages.
- Phnom Penh Tourism
- Krong Battambang Tourism
- Mondol Kiri Tourism
- Angkor Chey Tourism
- Kandal Stueng Tourism
- Prey Vêng Tourism
- Paoy Paet Tourism
- Krong Kaeb Tourism
- Tatai Tourism
Facts and Stats for Siem Reap*
Pollution Statistics in Siem Reap
Know the pollution level of Siem Reap before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 37.5 (Low)
Water Pollution 100 (Very High)
Noise and Light Pollution 75 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 75 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 75 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 87.5 (Very High)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 75 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 87.5 (Very High)
Siem Reap: Crime and Safety
How safe is Siem Reap for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Siem Reap.
Burglary and Theft 60.71 (High)
Mugging and Robbery 46.43 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 39.29 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 78.57 (High)
Car Stealing 33.33 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 41.67 (Moderate)
Attacks 50 (Moderate)
Drug offense 57.14 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 78.57 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 46.43 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 42.86 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 28.57 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 54.17 (Moderate)
Living in Siem Reap - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Siem Reap is 52.85 (Low)
Safety Index 51.67 (Moderate)
Climate Index 63.63 (High)
Pollution Index 75 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 65 (Very High)
Cost of Living Index 45.95 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 34.72 (Low)
Property Price to Income Ratio 25.54 (Very High)
Purchasing Power Index 11.39 (Very Low)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Siem Reap
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Siem Reap
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.03 USD
International Movie per seat 4.25 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 10 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 21 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 25 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.