When you are looking for the most beautiful medieval city of Italy to travel, Siena is the answer to your question. Set on the three hills, surrounded by Chianti and olive groves, this city is bound with steep and twisted redbrick lanes that seem to be tumbling down the city. Taking a tour into Siena, you will get to see dozens of historic buildings, palazzos, museums and pastry shops. This city has earned its fame for holding the famous horse race “Palio” (twice a year) which is run around Il Campo. You don’t get to see the usual outfits of the riders that are followed in a horse race rather; get ready to see jockeys riding bareback during the race. If you have seen James Bond movie ‘Quantum of Solace’, you might remember about the race course shown in the movie. Just a day trip from Florence, you can take an entire tour around Siena and get back to Florence on that very day or next day.
Siena earns its livelihood from “turismo” (tourism). An interesting tourism information about Siena is that it was once a rich city, especially during the Middle Ages. However, after its defeat by Florence, the city lost some of its glory. But its medieval buildings are still spectacularly beautiful and have not been replaced by modern structures. These are now marvellous tourist sites for travelers.
Essential travel information and Siena tips for your visit
- Be careful of tourist traps by restaurants. You could be fooled into paying much more than locals for a meal.
- Siena is like a maze for a new person. Do carry a navigation device or a map with you always.
- The truffles of Siena are quite popular. They make for great souvenirs and gifts.
- Expect to walk a lot. Do carry comfortable shoes.
- Most Italian establishments take a lunch break and are closed during that time.
Siena Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Siena. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Siena trip planner.