Siena Cathedral1799 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza del Duomo, 8, 53100 Siena SI, Italy
- Timings: 10:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0577286300
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Memorial, Monument, Family And Kids, Heritage Building
Located close to the Piazza del Campo, Siena Cathedral is a beautiful gothic building that has the stamp of artistes like Pisano, Donatello and Michaelangelo. A jaw dropping exterior facade prepares you for the ornate interiors that are decorated with white and green marble and magnificent artworks. Everywhere you look, intricate craftsmanship reveals itself; whether it is in the paintings in the ceiling or the craftsmanship of the pillars. The 56 etched and inlaid marble panels were designed by 40 of leading local artists between 1369 and 1547. Incredibly, completion of the cathedral spanned over six centuries.
The heart of the Cathedral, its crypt has been an important archaeological discovery that has unearthed a number of rooms and treasures inside them- from Giovanni artworks to other gorgeous paintings.
The other major treasure in the cathedral is the Piccolomini Library which was built by Pope Pius III. It was built to hold rare manuscripts. Another masterpiece in itself, the library has spectacular artworks, like the rest of the cathedral.
Entrance Ticket Details For Siena Cathedral
- When the entire pavement of the cathedral is uncovered, admission goes up to 7 Euro.
- From 1st Nov to 24th Dec and from 7th Jan to 28th Feb free entrance for Cathedral and € 2,00 for Library.
- Museum and Panorama 7 EUR.
- Crypt: 6 EUR (8 EUR in the case of extraordinary events).
- Baptistery: 4 EUR
Siena Cathedral Hours
- Special opening hours on holy days, such as Christmas and day of Palio, August 16.
How to Reach Siena Cathedral
- Nearest Bus Stop: Via Fontebranda Macelli
- Antica Osteria da Divo
- Il Duomo
- Ristorante Sandesiderio
- Pizza al volo
- Ristorante Le Campane
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Siena before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Siena and book an accommodation of your choice.
91.77% of people who visit Siena include Siena Cathedral in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
57.92% of people start their Siena Cathedral visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Siena Cathedral
69.07% of people prefer walking in order to reach Siena Cathedral