Built in the 5th century AD, by King Kasyapa, Sigiriya boasted of a very elaborate and complex city plan; with a palace built on top of a humongous 200 meter tall rock. This architectural and engineering marvel is a UNESCO listed World Heritage Site, and one of the popular tourism spot since ages. It also has quite an interesting history, with numerous theories regarding its origin and use. Today, the ruins of the ancient fortress are surrounded by Sigiriya Village, which offers numerous restaurants and hotels suitable for just about any type of traveler.
Sigiriya is a must-see place for people with artistic bent of mind, with its numerous frescoes done in a unique yet distinctly Asian style. The women in the ancient paintings are as mysterious as they are beautiful. Also intriguing are the writings by tourists on The Mirror Wall, some said to be from as far back as the 8th century.
A travel to Sigiriya is incomplete without a visit to The Pleasure Gardens - a wonder onto themselves. The Gardens are home to the ruins of summer palaces, still-functioning fountains, symmetric pools and winding walkways opening up to a grand view of the lush forests.
For tourists in Sigiriya looking for an adventure the climb up to the magnificent Lion Rock is a must. With a grand total of 1200 steps to climb, it sure involves a bit of hard work, but the stunning view from the top more than makes up for it.
Essential travel information and Sigiriya tips for your visit
- Climb the Lion Staircase to enjoy an enthralling, panoramic view of the surrounding.
- Carry a bottle of water and some food with you as there are no shops within the fortress.
- Take a hat with you and apply sunscreen.
- Get seated on an elephant and squeal with delight as the mahut leads it through water.
- Enjoy a leisurely walk through the gardens – the terrace garden, the boulder garden, the miniature garden and the water gardens.
- If you do not have a vehicle with you or have booked accommodations near by, leave before 6 PM.
- Visit the nearby Pidurangala, a rock nearly as big as the Sigiriya and offering a complete view of Sigiriya and surroundings.
- Take a stroll through the Sigiriya Herbal Gardens and get to know the local ecology as well as some medicinal plants.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Sigiriya
Save 7%Private Day Tour: Polonnaruwa and Minneriya from SigiriyaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 10 Hrs
This tour takes you to Polonnaruwa and Minneriya, on a remarkable archaeological and nature-filled journey. Wonder at the anc...
Save 7%Day Trip to Hiriwadunna Village from Sigiriya and DambullaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 5 Hrs
Explore the rural village of Hiriwadunna on this half-day trip from Habarana, Sigiriya or Dambulla. Traveling by Safari Jeep ...
Save 7%Minneriya Park Elephant Gathering Private Jeep Safari from SIGIRIYA1 Reviews
Duration: 3 Hrs
Watch the World largest wild Asian Elephant Gathering at Minneriya national park on this private jeep safari tour. Accompanie...
Save 8%Full-Day Tour of Sigiriya Rock Fortress and Dambulla Cave Temples by Luxury Vehicle8 Reviews
Duration: 9 Hrs
Visit the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Sigiriya Rock Fortress and Dambulla Cave Temples by an air-conditioned vehicle. Spen...
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Sigiriya
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.02 USD
International Movie per seat 3.29 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 15.89 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 22.82 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 27.39 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.