Built in the 5th century AD, by King Kasyapa, Sigiriya boasted of a very elaborate and complex city plan; with a palace built on top of a humongous 200 meter tall rock. This architectural and engineering marvel is a UNESCO listed World Heritage Site, and one of the popular tourism spot since ages. It also has quite an interesting history, with numerous theories regarding its origin and use. Today, the ruins of the ancient fortress are surrounded by Sigiriya Village, which offers numerous restaurants and hotels suitable for just about any type of traveler.
Sigiriya is a must-see place for people with artistic bent of mind, with its numerous frescoes done in a unique yet distinctly Asian style. The women in the ancient paintings are as mysterious as they are beautiful. Also intriguing are the writings by tourists on The Mirror Wall, some said to be from as far back as the 8th century.
A travel to Sigiriya is incomplete without a visit to The Pleasure Gardens - a wonder onto themselves. The Gardens are home to the ruins of summer palaces, still-functioning fountains, symmetric pools and winding walkways opening up to a grand view of the lush forests.
For tourists in Sigiriya looking for an adventure the climb up to the magnificent Lion Rock is a must. With a grand total of 1200 steps to climb, it sure involves a bit of hard work, but the stunning view from the top more than makes up for it.
Essential travel information and Sigiriya tips for your visit
- Climb the Lion Staircase to enjoy an enthralling, panoramic view of the surrounding.
- Carry a bottle of water and some food with you as there are no shops within the fortress.
- Take a hat with you and apply sunscreen.
- Get seated on an elephant and squeal with delight as the mahut leads it through water.
- Enjoy a leisurely walk through the gardens – the terrace garden, the boulder garden, the miniature garden and the water gardens.
- If you do not have a vehicle with you or have booked accommodations near by, leave before 6 PM.
- Visit the nearby Pidurangala, a rock nearly as big as the Sigiriya and offering a complete view of Sigiriya and surroundings.
- Take a stroll through the Sigiriya Herbal Gardens and get to know the local ecology as well as some medicinal plants.
Sigiriya Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Sigiriya. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Sigiriya trip planner.