Minneriya National ParkCurrently Closed
- Address: Habarana-Polonnaruwa Road, Habarana , Sri Lanka, Sigiriya
- Timings: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 24 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, National Park, Wildlife Park, Wildlife Safari, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature
Minneriya National Park - Review
An hour drive from Sigiriya will take you to this beautiful national park of Sri Lanka. It is centrally located and is considered as the best place in Sri Lanka to observe wild Asian elephants. In fact, the park is said to be the home of largest number of Asian elephants.
You need to reach the entrance, located at Habarana. From there, you will get jeep that will take you on a private safari tour. It is best to visit the place during rainy season, especially in August. At this time of the year, you get the most breathtaking sight of around 300 wild elephants, all gathered together at one place. This phenomenon is popularly named as The Gathering and is said to be the largest gathering of Asian elephants around the world.
Minneriya National Park has no accommodation facilities within its boundaries. But the cities close to Minneriya National Park- Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Habrana and Giritale- are clustered with luxury hotels and lodges.
Things to see: Watch baby elephants moving around playfully, bull elephant tussling for dominance.
Things to do: Go for an early morning Hot Air Balloon ride.
Minneriya National Park Information
- It is best to visit the park in the afternoon, i.e. around 3:30pm. This is because, animals tends to hideout of the lunchtime sun.
- Avoid visiting the place during June to September as you might not see enough number of elephants due to dry season.
Minneriya National Park Ticket Prices
- The ticket prices are approximate and subjected to change.
- Jeep & Guide : $36 – 50 (depending on where you hire it from) .
- Child: 12 USD
How To reach Minneriya National Park by Public Transport
- By car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Minneriya National Park
22.79% of people who visit Sigiriya include Minneriya National Park in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
91.72% of people start their Minneriya National Park visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Minneriya National Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Minneriya National Park
Minneriya National Park Trips
1 View19 Days 18 Nights19 Day Trip to Colombo, Kandy, Sigiriya, Negombo, Ella, Galle, Nuwara Eliya from RiyadhBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Negombo, Kandy, Sigiriya, Nuwara Eliya, Ella, Galle, Colombo