Minneriya National ParkCurrently Open
- Address: Habarana-Polonnaruwa Road, Habarana , Sri Lanka, Sigiriya Map
- Timings: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 24 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, National Park, Wildlife Park, Wildlife Safari, Family And Kids, Nature
An hour drive from Sigiriya will take you to this beautiful national park of Sri Lanka. It is centrally located and is considered as the best place in Sri Lanka to observe wild Asian elephants. In fact, the park is said to be the home of largest number of Asian elephants.
You need to reach the entrance, located at Habarana. From there, you will get jeep that will take you on a private safari tour. It is best to visit the place during rainy season, especially in August. At this time of the year, you get the most breathtaking sight of around 300 wild elephants, all gathered together at one place. This phenomenon is popularly named as The Gathering and is said to be the largest gathering of Asian elephants around the world.
Minneriya National Park has no accommodation facilities within its boundaries. But the cities close to Minneriya National Park- Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Habrana and Giritale- are clustered with luxury hotels and lodges.
Things to see: Watch baby elephants moving around playfully, bull elephant tussling for dominance.
Things to do: Go for an early morning Hot Air Balloon ride.
Minneriya National Park Travel Tips
- It is best to visit the park in the afternoon, i.e. around 3:30pm. This is because, animals tends to hideout of the lunchtime sun.
- Avoid visiting the place during June to September as you might not see enough number of elephants due to dry season.
Entrance Ticket Details For Minneriya National Park
- The ticket prices are approximate and subjected to change.
- Jeep & Guide : $36 – 50 (depending on where you hire it from) .
- Child: 12 USD
How to Reach Minneriya National Park
- By car
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Minneriya National Park Address: Habarana-Polonnaruwa Road, Habarana , Sri Lanka, Sigiriya
- Minneriya National Park Timing: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Minneriya National Park Price: 24 USD
- Best time to visit Minneriya National Park(preferred time): 03:30 pm - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Minneriya National Park: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
18.21% of people who visit Sigiriya include Minneriya National Park in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
91.72% of people start their Minneriya National Park visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Minneriya National Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Minneriya National Park
People normally club together Pidurangala Rock Temple and Kalum Jeep Safari while planning their visit to Minneriya National Park.