Pidurangala Rock TempleCurrently Closed
- Address: Pidurangala, Matale District, Central Province, Sri Lanka, Sigiriya
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 2 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Religious Site, Temple, Outdoors, View Point, Ancient Ruin, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature
About Pidurangala Rock Temple, Sigiriya
Offering a gorgeous view of the dense Sri Lankan forest, the Pidurangala Rock is nearly as tall as the nearby Sigiriya. From the top you can view the entire Sigiriya complex while at the base is a Buddhist monastery and temple. The climb is steep and unmarked, and often ignored by tourists, but the view and the feeling of being closer to nature more than makes up for it.
It is said that King Kasyapa relocated the Buddhist monks who resided at Sigiriya Rock to build his fortress. He built a temple and monastery for them, the ruins of which can be seen at the site now. It is also said that the king was cremated here, the Kasyapa's Stupa possibly marking the cremation site.
Pidurangala Rock Temple Information
- The path to the top is not very clear, and a new person might get a bet confused.
- The climb to the top is only suitable for fit people, as it is very steep and has lots of crevices.
- Carry a bottle of water with you.
Pidurangala Rock Temple Opening and Closing Hours
- The entrance is open only till 05:00 pm.
How To reach Pidurangala Rock Temple by Public Transport
- You can hire a tuk tuk from Sigiriya or Dambulla.
Restaurants Near Pidurangala Rock Temple
- The nearest restaurants, eateries and shops are in the Sigiriya village.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Pidurangala Rock Temple
95% of people who visit Sigiriya include Pidurangala Rock Temple in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
43.95% of people start their Pidurangala Rock Temple visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Pidurangala Rock Temple
90.5% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pidurangala Rock Temple
Pidurangala Rock Temple Map
Pidurangala Rock Temple Trips
Pidurangala Rock Temple, Sigiriya Reviews
All QuestionsPidurangala rock temple
- Speedwell Cavern
- Castleton Visitors Centre
- Castleton Moor Railway Station
- Montage Gallery
- Field Breaks
- The Caravan Club
- Peak Cavern
- New London Orchestra
- Black Notley Convenience
- Adventures In Music Making
- Hill Top House, Beatrix Potter's Farmhouse
- Coniston Launch
- Southern Sinfonia
- Castle Addictions
- Top Of The Jocks