Pidurangala Rock TempleCurrently Open [Closes at 05:30 pm]
Offering a gorgeous view of the dense Sri Lankan forest, the Pidurangala Rock is nearly as tall as the nearby Sigiriya. From the top you can view the entire Sigiriya complex while at the base is a Buddhist monastery and temple. The climb is steep and unmarked, and often ignored by tourists, but the view and the feeling of being closer to nature more than makes up for it.
It is said that King Kasyapa relocated the Buddhist monks who resided at Sigiriya Rock to build his fortress. He built a temple and monastery for them, the ruins of which can be seen at the site now. It is also said that the king was cremated here, the Kasyapa's Stupa possibly marking the cremation site.
Pidurangala Rock Temple Travel Tips
- The path to the top is not very clear, and a new person might get a bet confused.
- The climb to the top is only suitable for fit people, as it is very steep and has lots of crevices.
- Carry a bottle of water with you.
Pidurangala Rock Temple Hours
- The entrance is open only till 05:00 pm.
How to Reach Pidurangala Rock Temple
- You can hire a tuk tuk from Sigiriya or Dambulla.
- The nearest restaurants, eateries and shops are in the Sigiriya village.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
76.82% of people who visit Sigiriya include Pidurangala Rock Temple in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
44.81% of people start their Pidurangala Rock Temple visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Pidurangala Rock Temple
86.81% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pidurangala Rock Temple