The Sigiriya Fortress, Sigiriya
About The Sigiriya Fortress, Sigiriya
The Sigiriya Fortress, Sigiriya - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Sigiriya, Matale District, Central Province, Sri Lanka
Ticket Price: 30 USD
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
Added 13.4K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Outdoors, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fort
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The fortress was designed by the King Kasyapa to serve as his capital. Accordingly, prior to its abandonment, Sigiriya was surrounded by magnificent moats, gardens, palaces and had four gates. A gigantic replica of lion served as the entrance. Although only the claws and paw survive to this day, their size serves as a reminder of the grandeur of the ancient gate. One of the best things to do in Sigiriya is climbing the Lion Staircase. At the top of the staircase is the once majestic Sky Palace - a number of airy buildings surrounded by ponds and gardens. On the way to the summit are the Terrace Garden and the Boulder Garden – the most treasured tourist attractions in Sigiriya.
The Sigiriya Fortress Information
- Do carry a bottle of water with you.
- There are no shops or eateries inside the paid area, so do carry refreshments with you.
- There are no toilets/washrooms inside the paid area.
- Protect yourself from the sun – wear a hat and a liberal slathering of sunscreen is highly recommended as you climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
- The last bus to Dambulla leaves at 6 PM, it is recommend to not linger in the area after dark.
The Sigiriya Fortress Ticket Prices
- The ticket includes entry to the museum.
The Sigiriya Fortress Opening and Closing Hours
- The entrance to the site is only till 5 pm.
How To reach The Sigiriya Fortress by Public Transport
- Buses and tuk tuks ply regularly between Dambulla and Sigiriya, however the last bus leaves at 6 pm.
Restaurants Near The Sigiriya Fortress
- The nearest restaurants are in the Sigiriya village, you can however buy water, chips and biscuits from a shack next to the ticket counter.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
The Sigiriya Fortress, Sigiriya Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Pidurangala Rock
- Grand Adams Peak Hotel
- Sigiriya Village Hotel
- Wild Grass Nature Resort
- Sigiri Art Gallery
- Piya Special Elephant Ride ,jeep Safari & Taxi Service
- Aliya Resort & Spa
- Sigiriya Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Sigiriya
- What to See in 48 Hours in Sigiriya
- What to See in 72 Hours in Sigiriya
- How to Spend 5 Days in Sigiriya
- How to Spend 6 Days in Sigiriya
- How to Spend 7 Days in Sigiriya