The fortress was designed by the King Kasyapa to serve as his capital. Accordingly, prior to its abandonment, Sigiriya was surrounded by magnificent moats, gardens, palaces and had four gates. A gigantic replica of lion served as the entrance. Although only the claws and paw survive to this day, their size serves as a reminder of the grandeur of the ancient gate. One of the best things to do in Sigiriya is climbing the Lion Staircase. At the top of the staircase is the once majestic Sky Palace - a number of airy buildings surrounded by ponds and gardens. On the way to the summit are the Terrace Garden and the Boulder Garden – the most treasured tourist attractions in Sigiriya.
The Sigiriya Fortress Travel Tips
- Do carry a bottle of water with you.
- There are no shops or eateries inside the paid area, so do carry refreshments with you.
- There are no toilets/washrooms inside the paid area.
- Protect yourself from the sun – wear a hat and a liberal slathering of sunscreen is highly recommended as you climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
- The last bus to Dambulla leaves at 6 PM, it is recommend to not linger in the area after dark.
Entrance Ticket Details For The Sigiriya Fortress
- The ticket includes entry to the museum.
The Sigiriya Fortress Hours
- The entrance to the site is only till 5 pm.
How to Reach The Sigiriya Fortress
- Buses and tuk tuks ply regularly between Dambulla and Sigiriya, however the last bus leaves at 6 pm.
- The nearest restaurants are in the Sigiriya village, you can however buy water, chips and biscuits from a shack next to the ticket counter.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Sigiriya include The Sigiriya Fortress in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
41.6% of people start their The Sigiriya Fortress visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see The Sigiriya Fortress
71.26% of people prefer walking in order to reach The Sigiriya Fortress
The Sigiriya Fortress Reviews & Ratings
Can I pre-purchase a ticket online for climbing Sigiriya Rock? I will be arriving into Sigiriya before 7am and want to go straight to the rock. I live in Australia and have scoured online but managed to get so far sidetracked.Answer Report Abuse
Even though the authorities are planning to make tickets available online in the future, you cannot buy a ticket online as of now. But, the Sigiriya opens at 7 am in the morning and usually charges USD 30 per head for foreign tourists.Report Abuse