The Sigiriya Fortress Tours
About The Sigiriya Fortress, Sigiriya
The fortress was designed by the King Kasyapa to serve as his capital. Accordingly, prior to its abandonment, Sigiriya was surrounded by magnificent moats, gardens, palaces and had four gates. A gigantic replica of lion served as the entrance. Although only the claws and paw survive to this day, their size serves as a reminder of the grandeur of the ancient gate. One of the best things to do in Sigiriya is climbing the Lion Staircase. At the top of the staircase is the once majestic Sky Palace - a number of airy buildings surrounded by ponds and gardens. On the way to the summit are the Terrace Garden and the Boulder Garden – the most treasured tourist attractions in Sigiriya.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
The Sigiriya Fortress Information
- Do carry a bottle of water with you.
- There are no shops or eateries inside the paid area, so do carry refreshments with you.
- There are no toilets/washrooms inside the paid area.
- Protect yourself from the sun – wear a hat and a liberal slathering of sunscreen is highly recommended as you climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress.
- The last bus to Dambulla leaves at 6 PM, it is recommend to not linger in the area after dark.
The Sigiriya Fortress Tickets Prices
- The ticket includes entry to the museum.
The Sigiriya Fortress Opening and Closing Hours
- The entrance to the site is only till 5 pm.
How To Get To The Sigiriya Fortress by Public Transport
- Buses and tuk tuks ply regularly between Dambulla and Sigiriya, however the last bus leaves at 6 pm.
Restaurants Near The Sigiriya Fortress
- The nearest restaurants are in the Sigiriya village, you can however buy water, chips and biscuits from a shack next to the ticket counter.
Address: Sigiriya, Matale District, Central Province, Sri Lanka
Ticket Price: 30 USD
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
Art And Culture, Outdoors, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fort
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book The sigiriya fortress Tickets And Tours
This private day trip will visit three famous destinations in Sri Lanka, one is historical, another cultural, and the final destination a place where man meets nature. The historical destination is the rock fortress, Sigiriya; the cultural destination is the beautiful rural village, Hiriwaduna; and the final nature destination is the Minneriya National Park.
You will be visiting Sigiriya first for a view of the famous Sigiriya Rock Paintings and the many marvelous ‘modern’ additions that King Kasiappa had in his fortress. Afterwards you will visit a Sri Lankan village still living in a bygone era for a taste of authentic Sri Lankan traditions and activities (the tasting part is literal as you will get lunch here too). Finally, you will be visiting the Minneriya National Park for a chance to see some wildlife in their natural habitats.
This private tour will take you to two destinations, one historical and the other cultural. The historical destination is Sigiriya, the ancient rock fortress in Central Sri Lanka, and the cultural destination is the picturesque rustic village of Hiriwaduna.
Your expert guide will show you the lives of the kings of centuries past as you walk the halls of the rock palace where King Kassyapa ruled. Afterwards, you will visit a traditional Sri Lankan village filled with rustic charm, and experience many activities such as a catamaran ride, bullock cart ride, traditional Sri Lankan cooking demonstration and many others, along with a traditional lunch made at the village itself.
End your Sri Lanka vacation with ease by booking this private departure transfer from your hotel in Dambulla to the Bandaranayake International Airport (CMB). Your friendly and professional driver will drive you directly to the Airport in the comfort of a private, air-conditioned vehicle. Itâs that easy!
End your Sri Lanka vacation with ease by booking this private departure transfer from your hotel in Habarana to the Bandaranayake International Airport (CMB). Your friendly and professional driver will drive you directly to the Airport in the comfort of a private, air-conditioned vehicle. Itâs that easy!
Share your experience - Rate The Sigiriya Fortress, Sigiriya
- Other Attractions
- Zhongyang Pedestrian Street
- Harbin Polarland
- Siberian Tiger Park
- Sun Island
- Zhaolin Park
- Harbin Ice Light Garden Party
- Longta Tower
- Harbin Flood Control Memorial Tower
- Unit 731 Museum
- Temple Of Bliss
- Hotels for other Attractions
- Cheap Hotels Near Zhongyang Pedestrian Street
- Luxury Hotels Near Harbin Polarland
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Siberian Tiger Park
- Luxury Hotels Near Sun Island
- Cheap Hotels Near Zhaolin Park
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Harbin Ice Light Garden Party
- Hotels Near Longta Tower
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Harbin Flood Control Memorial Tower
- Hotels Near Unit 731 Museum
- Cheap Hotels Near Temple Of Bliss
- City Tripplans
- Sigiriya Itinerary 1 Day
- 2 Day Trip to Sigiriya from Sigiriya
- Sigiriya Itinerary 4 Days
- Sigiriya Itinerary 2 Days
- 3 Day Trip to Sigiriya from Sigiriya
- Sigiriya Itinerary 5 Days
- 6 Day Trip to Sigiriya from Sigiriya
- Sigiriya Itinerary 3 Days
- Sigiriya Itinerary 6 Days
- Sigiriya Itinerary 7 Days