Situated on an enormous rock, surrounded by lush forest and painted a gleaming white, the Sky Palace, is said to have resembled a gigantic floating cloud in its hey day. The walls of the rock were also covered in paintings (the Frescoes), adding to the opulence of the whole structure. The climb up to the palace is a bit strenuous and recommended only for the fit, but the view at the top and the attractions on the way are worth the entire effort. You can also stroll through the miniature gardens, water gardens, boulder garden and terrace garden on your way up.
- Do carry a bottle of water with you.
- There are no shops or eateries inside the paid area, so do carry refreshments with you.
- There are no toilets/washrooms inside the paid area.
- The last bus to Dambulla leaves at 6 PM, it is recommended not to linger in the area after dark.
- The ticket includes entry to the museum.
- The entrance to the site is only till 05:00 pm.
- Buses and tuk tuks ply regularly between Dambulla and Sigiriya, however the last bus leaves at 6 pm.
- The nearest restaurants are in the Sigiriya village, you can however buy water, chips and biscuits from a shack next to the ticket counter.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sigiriya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sigiriya and book an accommodation of your choice.
93.11% of people who visit Sigiriya include The Sky Palace in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
45.81% of people start their The Sky Palace visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see The Sky Palace
69.09% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Sky Palace