Monserrate Palace And Park2110 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: Monserrate, 2710-405 Sintra, Portugal
- Timings: 09:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +35121-9237300
- Ticket Price: 7 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Monuments in Sintra are often found to be built in the Portuguese Romanticist tradition which has a distinctly eclectic approach to design. The Monserrate Palace is no different in this regard. It was built in 1858 by an English architect in Gothic, Moorish and Mughal (Indian) designs.
The Park area houses a wide variety of botanical riches. Plant species from across continents were brought to the garden. Fans of Lord Byron’s poetry would know that the famed poet mentions the Monserrate ruins in ‘Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage’.
You don’t have to be a historian or an aficionado of architectural design to know that you are looking at an overwhelming work of wonder. The octagonal Main Hall of the palace is adorned with alabaster statues and elegantly covered with decorative symbols and themes.
The Indian Drawing Room is a reflection of the love and lavishness that has gone into decorating this Palace. The room is decked with furniture and fabric from India and other porcelain and crystal items from Venice and China.
The Monserrate Park is often used for photography exhibitions, family activities and special events.
Certain sections of the Palace are beautifully illuminated, adding a well-deserved shine to the Palace’s glory.
Monserrate Palace And Park Travel Tips
- Other Ticket Prices: Discounted rates on ticket are available for children (6-17) and senior citizens.
- They also offer a combo ticket which provides visitors access to several other attractions.
- Children under 5 can enter for free.
- If you hold a Lisbon card, you can avail a discount on the ticket prices.
- Tips & Warnings: Monserrate Palace is about an hour by foot from the Sintra centre.
- By bus: 435
- By train: Take the mini –train Monserrate Line from the historic centre.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sintra before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sintra and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Sintra include Monserrate Palace And Park in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
39.33% of people start their Monserrate Palace And Park visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Monserrate Palace And Park
91.94% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monserrate Palace And Park