Saint Nedelja Church1055 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 60, Tzar Asen Str., Sofia, Bulgaria Map
- Phone: +359-29875748
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Architecture
This church is supposedly at the very center of Sofia – it lies directly on the ancient crossroads of Serdika. The architecture is typically neo-Byzantine, and it’s painted on the inside with frescoes by some of Bulgaria’s master-painters. It has two major icons. The first is a tapestry of the Resurrection, given to the church by an unknown woman. The other is the relics of canonised Serbian king Stephen Milutin. Also check out the beautifully carved wooden iconostasis from 1865.
In 1925, the church was heavily damaged and many of its attendees killed in a bomb blast intended to assassinate Tsar Boris III. It has since been restored to its full beauty.
Annually on the 27th of December at 11.00 a.m. a service is held to memorize the saint Serbian king.
Saint Nedelja Church Hours
- Please enquire before you visit.
How to Reach Saint Nedelja Church
- Subway Red line— Serdika or Sofia University stop
- Bus lines 9, 94, 280, 306 — Sofia University stop
- Trolley bus line 9 — St. Alexander Nevski Square stop
- Trolley bus lines 1, 2, 4, 11 — Sofia University stop
- Tramway line 20 — National Opera stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sofia before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sofia and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Saint Nedelja Church Address: 60, Tzar Asen Str., Sofia, Bulgaria
- Saint Nedelja Church Contact Number: +359-29875748
- Time required to visit Saint Nedelja Church: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
66.14% of people who visit Sofia include Saint Nedelja Church in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
36.96% of people start their Saint Nedelja Church visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Saint Nedelja Church
61.45% of people prefer walking in order to reach Saint Nedelja Church
People normally club together Vitosha Boulevard and Banja Bashi Mosque while planning their visit to Saint Nedelja Church.