This is where Sofia goes for hiking, alpining and skiing. Heck, this mountain is the main reason tourism in Sofia even started. It is especially popular as a ski resort in the winter, when the top of the mountain offers stunning panoramas. Skiing season is from Decemeber – March. The mountain has two biosphere reserves - Bistrishko Branishte and Torfeno Branishte.
This great mountain massif is easily accessible thanks to the many bus routes and rope lines that ply there. The most popular starting destination is the Aleko area (about 7000 feet high), which is right below the mountain’s highest peak. It’s possible to stay at the many basic hotels and inns on the mountian.
Vitosha Mountain And National Park Travel Tips
- You can drive to the mountain by car in the summer - go through Dragalevtsi neighbourhood to the Aleko area.
- Take Bus 66 from Hladilnika Bus Terminal (BGN 6 round trip). It’s a 50 minute journey to the top. Stops at Hotel Moreni. Last bus back is at 6pm.
- Bus 64 takes you to Boyana Church, from where you can hike to Boyana Lake or Boyana Waterfall.
- Bus 122 to Simeonovo gondola lift.
- Bus 93 to Dragalevtsi chair lift.
- Bus 98 to Jeleznica village on the other side of the mountain.
- Taxis to the lift stops mentioned above are cheap too.
How to Reach Vitosha Mountain And National Park
- Buses 64, 122, 93, 98, 66, to the Mountain.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sofia before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sofia and book an accommodation of your choice.
58.39% of people who visit Sofia include Vitosha Mountain And National Park in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
35.1% of people start their Vitosha Mountain And National Park visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Vitosha Mountain And National Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Vitosha Mountain And National Park