Vitosha Mountain And National Park, Sofia
About Vitosha Mountain And National Park, Sofia
Vitosha Mountain And National Park, Sofia - Address
Address: Vitosha Mountian, Bulgaria
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 5.7K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Mountain, National Park, Sport, Hiking Trail, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature, Resort
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This is where Sofia goes for hiking, alpining and skiing. Heck, this mountain is the main reason tourism in Sofia even started. It is especially popular as a ski resort in the winter, when the top of the mountain offers stunning panoramas. Skiing season is from Decemeber – March. The mountain has two biosphere reserves - Bistrishko Branishte and Torfeno Branishte.
This great mountain massif is easily accessible thanks to the many bus routes and rope lines that ply there. The most popular starting destination is the Aleko area (about 7000 feet high), which is right below the mountain’s highest peak. It’s possible to stay at the many basic hotels and inns on the mountian.
Vitosha Mountain And National Park Information
- You can drive to the mountain by car in the summer - go through Dragalevtsi neighbourhood to the Aleko area.
- Take Bus 66 from Hladilnika Bus Terminal (BGN 6 round trip). It’s a 50 minute journey to the top. Stops at Hotel Moreni. Last bus back is at 6pm.
- Bus 64 takes you to Boyana Church, from where you can hike to Boyana Lake or Boyana Waterfall.
- Bus 122 to Simeonovo gondola lift.
- Bus 93 to Dragalevtsi chair lift.
- Bus 98 to Jeleznica village on the other side of the mountain.
- Taxis to the lift stops mentioned above are cheap too.
How To reach Vitosha Mountain And National Park by Public Transport
- Buses 64, 122, 93, 98, 66, to the Mountain.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sofia before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sofia and book an accommodation of your choice.
Vitosha Mountain And National Park, Sofia Reviews - Write a Review
Excellent small mountain area for a fairly easy and picturesque hike in summer. However, going up during weekdays by taxi when the 66 bus is not running, is not advised unless you're prepared to walk back into town for hours, as taxis won't collect you. Would advise hiring a car.
Great place for everyone to admire the mountain views. Only problem is that there are many old directions that can mislead you and get you lost. Advise yourself before going up and you will have a great time.
Vitosha National Park is located just next to Sofia city. Very nice place for hike and relax in the summer, and ski during winter period. There are a lot of marked trails, huts and sites to be visited.
Very beautiful mountain near the city. Great place for climbing and hiking, as well as just chilling.
Apart from high peaks and unique nature, Vitosha can offer also blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. Easily accessible by public transport.
- Nearby Attractions
- Temple Sveta Paraskeva
- Mausoleum Of Alexander Of Battenberg
- Loven Park
- Park "kambanite"
- "north" Park
- Park "geo Milev"
- Park "holy Trinity"
- Park Mladost 4
- Golden Bridges
- West Park
- Sofia Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Sofia
- What to See in 48 Hours in Sofia
- What to See in 72 Hours in Sofia
- How to Spend 5 Days in Sofia
- How to Spend 6 Days in Sofia
- How to Spend 7 Days in Sofia