Somnath Mahadev Temple590 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Somnath Trust Booking Office, Near Bustop, Prabhas Patan, Gujarat 362268, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 09:30 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9428214914
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Landmark, Family And Kids
The Somnath Temple is a very important pilgrimage site for Hindus all across the globe as it is one of the first Jyotirlinga (Representation of Lord Shiva) out of twelve. It is believed to have been established by Soma – the moon god thousands of years ago, who made it as an offering to Lord Shiva, who helped Soma get relief from a curse. Over the course of its history the Somnath temple has been looted and destroyed a number of times by invaders because of the fabulous wealth that the temple accumulated in donations and offerings by kings, lords and other devotees. The temple which currently stands here was built in 1951 by the efforts of Sardar Vallabhai Patel. One marvelous fact about the temple is that ancient Indians were aware that is no land in between Somnath till Antarctica, a fact proven by a Sanskrit inscription found near the temple mentioning the same.
Somnath Mahadev Temple Travel Tips
- Follow Hindu Temple customs such as removing of footwear outside the temple and wearing modest clothing.
- All electronic gadgets like mobiles, cameras, tablets are prohibited.
- Locker facility available free of cost to keep belongings.
Somnath Mahadev Temple Hours
- Aarti Timings are 7 am, 12 pm and 7 pm.
How to Reach Somnath Mahadev Temple
- By renting a car or taxi.
- Somnath Bus Stand
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Somnath before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Somnath and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.49% of people who visit Somnath include Somnath Mahadev Temple in their plan
51.02% of people start their Somnath Mahadev Temple visit around 06 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Somnath Mahadev Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Somnath Mahadev Temple