Are you looking for what to do in Sonamarg?
THINGS TO SEE
Stuff your Sonamarg travel itinerary with some of these marvelous places to visit in Sonamarg:
- THAJIWAS GLACIER: This Sonamarg attraction is located 3 kilometers away and is a major tourist puller during summer time. Popular for snow-sledge rides, ponies can also be hired for the trip up to the glacier. Nearby points-Thajiwas Glacier, Fish pond and Sarbal Park.
- NICHNAI PASS: It leads to the trekking routes for the Himalayan lakes of Vishansar Lake (4080 meters), Krishansar Lake (3810 meters), Gangabal Lake (3658 meters), Gadsar Lake and Satsar Lake. Gangabal Lake also known as Harmukut Ganga is considered very sacred and every year a three day long ritual of Harmukh Gangabal Yatra is performed in the month of September.
- BALTAL: It is a small valley that lies on the foot of the Zoji-La Pass. During the period of July-August every year when the sacred Amarnathyatra begins, this beautiful valley serves as a base for setting base camps for the pilgrims. It is also a shorter route towards the Holy Shrine of Amarnath.
- NILAGRAD: Nilagrad is a place where one can have fabulous views of a mountain rivulet conjoining the serene Indus river waters. It is a colony of the Baltics where the water of this tributary appears reddish, believed to be having curative powers and revered by the denizens for its religious value.
THINGS TO DO
- Fishing: Sonamarg lakes are a home to plenty of rainbow trout, brown trout and mahseer fish. Main sites for fishing are Fish Point; Krishansar Lake. Vishansar Lake is famous for its brown trout.
- Trekking: Trekking season begins from July to October. People from all parts of the world come and enjoy climbing the beautiful valley. Main sites for trekking are Gangabal Lake, Gadsar Lake.
- River rafting: River rafting tournaments are organised yearly by Jammu and Kashmir tourism department.
- Skiing: People flock from all parts of the world with to enjoy high altitude skiing at Sonamarg and Yousmarg.
Below we have a list of things to do in Sonamarg and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Sonamarg getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Sonamarg with confidence.