The Fire Watch Tower455 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 9400 Sopron, Foter 1, Hungary
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +36-99311327
- Ticket Price: 1150 HUF
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Tower, Exhibition
Located at the northern end of the main square, this Fire watch tower is a landmark of Sopron. Built on the remains of a Roman age town wall, the structure served as the Northern tower of the city since 13th century. The Barque balcony and helm roof were added after the great fire of 1676.
The tower guards played an important role of keeping a keen watch over the area and signalling the positing of the fire with lanterns at night and colourful flags at the day time. The double-headed eagle on the tower was gifted by King Ferdinand II and Queen Eleonora in 1622. The fire watch tower has suffered damages and is stabilised number of times since then.
This Fire watch tower is the symbol of loyalty. On 14th December 1921, a referendum was held in which Sopron and eight neighbouring villages expressed their wish to stay a part of Hungary instead of joining Austria. A neo-Baroque door frame and a statue entitles “The People of Sopron paying Homage to the mythological figure of Hungaria” was installed in the memory of the referendum.
Climb up the spiral staircase of 200 steps and enjoy a fantabulous view of this historic town from the former post of guards!
Entrance Ticket Details For The Fire Watch Tower
- The ticket price includes the coupon redeemable at the museum cafe.
- Students have concession in the entry fee.
- Children below 3 years of age and people with disabilities have free entry.
- Combined tickets for Fire Tower, Boundless story Storno collection are available.
- Group and family discounts are available.
- When visiting the cafeteria, the wine is cheaper than coffee, do give it try!
How to Reach The Fire Watch Tower
- On foot
- Graben etterem
- Museum cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Sopron before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sopron and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Sopron include The Fire Watch Tower in their plan
65.38% of people start their The Fire Watch Tower visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see The Fire Watch Tower
85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting The Fire Watch Tower