The Fire Watch Tower
About The Fire Watch Tower, Sopron
Located at the northern end of the main square, this Fire watch tower is a landmark of Sopron. Built on the remains of a Roman age town wall, the structure served as the Northern tower of the city since 13th century. The Barque balcony and helm roof were added after the great fire of 1676.
The tower guards played an important role of keeping a keen watch over the area and signalling the positing of the fire with lanterns at night and colourful flags at the day time. The double-headed eagle on the tower was gifted by King Ferdinand II and Queen Eleonora in 1622. The fire watch tower has suffered damages and is stabilised number of times since then.
This Fire watch tower is the symbol of loyalty. On 14th December 1921, a referendum was held in which Sopron and eight neighbouring villages expressed their wish to stay a part of Hungary instead of joining Austria. A neo-Baroque door frame and a statue entitles “The People of Sopron paying Homage to the mythological figure of Hungaria” was installed in the memory of the referendum.
Climb up the spiral staircase of 200 steps and enjoy a fantabulous view of this historic town from the former post of guards!
The Fire Watch Tower Tickets Prices
- The ticket price includes the coupon redeemable at the museum cafe.
- Students have concession in the entry fee.
- Children below 3 years of age and people with disabilities have free entry.
- Combined tickets for Fire Tower, Boundless story Storno collection are available.
- Group and family discounts are available.
- When visiting the cafeteria, the wine is cheaper than coffee, do give it try!
How To Get To The Fire Watch Tower by Public Transport
- On foot
Restaurants Near The Fire Watch Tower
- Graben etterem
- Museum cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sopron before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sopron and book an accommodation of your choice.
Share your experience - Rate The Fire Watch Tower, Sopron
The main attraction in Sopron, so actually not to be missed. The view is okay but it's a bit expensive for Hungarian standards and the staff seems to be unfriendly and incompetent.
Interesting history in an amazing city next to the austrian border. Fantastic view to the city and amazing landscape from the tower.
Good place to look around but not worth much money. You can have a look around from surrounding high buildings for free.
Somthing to must see when you are in Sopron.
Nice place, I'd recommend it to anyone who's in Sopron.
- Other Attractions
- Verrijn Stuartweg
- Stichting Geheugen Van Plan Zuid
- Fort Diemerdam
- Hotels for other Attractions
- Budget Hotels Near Verrijn Stuartweg
- Cheap Hotels Near Eekholt
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Diemerbos
- 5 Star Hotels Near Stichting Geheugen Van Plan Zuid
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Waterkant
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Bergwijkpark
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Diemen
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Fort Diemerdam
- City Tripplans
- Sopron Itinerary 2 Days
- 3 Day Trip to Sopron from Sopron
- Sopron Itinerary 1 Day
- Sopron Itinerary 5 Days
- 2 Day Trip to Sopron from Sopron
- 6 Day Trip to Sopron from Sopron
- Sopron Itinerary 4 Days
- 5 Day Trip to Sopron from Sopron
- Sopron Itinerary 7 Days
- 8 Day Trip to Sopron from Sopron