Diocletian's Palace2649 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Diocletian’s Palace, Split, Croatia
- Timings: 09:00 am - 11:00 pm Details
- Phone: +385-21348600
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Ancient Ruin, Historical Site, Palace, Cafe, Restaurant, Family And Kids
Built between the late 3rd and the early 4th centuries A.D, the Diocletian Palace was built during the Roman era as the retirement house for the Roman emperor Diocletian. Although in ruins today, this complex does make up for the most part of the old town of Split that includes twelfth- and 13th-century Romanesque churches, medieval fortifications, 15th-century Gothic palaces and other palaces in Renaissance and Baroque style. You can enter this complex for free and walk through its antiquity. However, for certain in-house attractions such as the basement, you will have to pay a price to visit. What makes this ruined but imposing structure even more beautiful is that it overlooks the harbour.
Diocletian's Palace Travel Tips
- The ancient fortress has become the old town of Split, with numerous shops, cafes, restaurants and also apartments, located in the old buildings on narrow streets of the palace/fortress.
Entrance Ticket Details For Diocletian's Palace
- Walking tours available. Please contact local tour guides for ticket prices.
Diocletian's Palace Timings
- Timings may vary. Hence, check with the locals for exact timings.
How to Reach Diocletian's Palace
- By Train: Nearest Train station: Zeljeznickikolodvor Split train station
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Split before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Split and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.12% of people who visit Split include Diocletian's Palace in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
50.9% of people start their Diocletian's Palace visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Diocletian's Palace
57.58% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Diocletian's Palace