Wular Lake8 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Wular Lake, Bandipora, Jammu and Kashmir, Srinagar, India Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Family And Kids, Lake
The name Wular comes from the word Sanskrit word Ullola, which means ‘high waves’. High waves are unusual in this region, The cause usually no water body is big enough to produce them. But this is one of the largest freshwater lakes in all of Asia, fed by the jhelum river. Depending on the season the area covered by the Lake's Waters can range from 12 square miles to 100 square miles.
The lake plays a very important role in the local economy, providing food for over 8000 fisherman. It has a very rich and diverse avian population with words such as Eurasian sparrowhawk, Himalayan golden eagle, Himalayan monal, common cuckoo, alpine swift, Indian roller, and golden oriole.
For tourists it is usually nothing more than a nice picnic spot, especially at the island joined to the lakeside. Houseboat and other vessels can be hired at Ningal Nullah, Kiuhnus Bay and at Ajus Spur at the south-east end of the lake. Further watersports ventures have been launched by the government of India to promote tourism around the lake.
How to Reach Wular Lake
- Drive to here.
- Buses from Srinagar tourist reception centre make day trips to Bandipora.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Srinagar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Srinagar and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Wular Lake Address: Wular Lake, Bandipora, Jammu and Kashmir, Srinagar, India
- Wular Lake Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Wular Lake(preferred time): 08:00 am - 01:00 pm
- Time required to visit Wular Lake: 04:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
0.13% of people who visit Srinagar include Wular Lake in their plan
50% of people start their Wular Lake visit around 4 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Wular Lake
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wular Lake
People normally club together Kheer Bhawani Temple and Ningle Nallah while planning their visit to Wular Lake.