Akka Mahadevi CavesCurrently Open
- Address: 10 km from Srisailam, Srisailam, Andhra Pradesh, 518102, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Family And Kids
Located nearly 180 kilometres from Srisailam, the Akka Mahadevi Caves are naturally formed caves with a shrine that is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The caves are named after Akka Mahadevi who was a notable Kannada poet, saint and philosopher of the 12th century who came here in seclusion to perform penance and to pray to Lord Shiva. The Shivlingam seen here is naturally formed and is one of the most significant idols in the region.
The journey to the cave is one of the highlights of the trip. You can take a boat ride from Patala Ganga and sail upstream along the meandering Krishna river to reach a ferry station from where a small hike takes you to the caves. The luscious view of the Nallamala hills, even during the boat rides and the hike, are captivating to say the least and if you love hiking and nature trails, this places offers a serene getaway for sure! The caves themselves are carved for over a million years and apart from the shrine, not much is touched here- there are no shops around and no eateries as well. The naturally formed arch that is 200 feet long and 16 feet high, grooves that looks like they are carved thoughtfully and beautiful pillars that complete the picture, makes this place a loved photography spot as well!
Akka Mahadevi Caves Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and snacks.
- Wear sturdy shoes since the hike can get tricky. The caves can get pretty dark. Carry a torch.
Entrance Ticket Details For Akka Mahadevi Caves
- Admission to the place is free of cost.
- Boat rides costs INR 350 (boating tickets can be obtained at the ropeway centre at Patala Ganga)
Akka Mahadevi Caves Hours
- The place is Open 24 hours but you can reach the place only by taking a boat ride.
- Boat rides start at 10.30 am. For last boat ride back to the city, ask the local boat operators.
How to Reach Akka Mahadevi Caves
- By Bus: Rajvihar Bus Stop
- Take a ferry/ boat ride form Patal Ganga to reach the place.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Srisailam before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Srisailam and book an accommodation of your choice.
2.17% of people who visit Srisailam include Akka Mahadevi Caves in their plan
95% of people start their Akka Mahadevi Caves visit around 3 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Akka Mahadevi Caves
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Akka Mahadevi Caves
People normally also visit Pathala Ganga while planning their trip to Akka Mahadevi Caves.