Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple75 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Srisaila Devasthanam, Srisailam 518101, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Timings: 04:30 am - 10:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-8524288883
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Temple, Family And Kids
The Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and his wife Parvati. What makes this place important is that it is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas (the holiest of all Shiva shrines in India) and also one of the 18 Shakti Peethas of Goddess Parvati. It is believed that Goddess Sati (avatar of Parvati) killed herself, Shiva was enraged and carried her body and roamed around the universe in grief and sorrow. Lord Vishnu saw this and directed his ‘sudarshana chakra’ which is a circular saw-like weapon, to cut the body into multiple places. The body parts fell on 18 places on the Earth where shrines were erected in honour of the Goddess.
Most of the temple (except for the main shrine) dates back to the 15th century and some of its structures that include Rajagopuram on Eastern side and Salumantapas on either sides of the temple, were constructed by Sri Krishnadevaraya. One of the Gopurams was constructed by Chatrapati Shivaji in the 17th century. Shiva is worshipped here as Mallikarjuna in the form of a ‘lingam’ while Goddess Parvati is worshipped here in the form of Brahmaramba.
Other highlights of the temple include:
- Four gateway towers called Gopurams- one of them being completely covered in gold
- The Mukha Mandapa dating back to the Vijayanagar period
- The Central mandappam with an idol of Nadikeshwar
- The main shrine where mallikarjun is worshipped that dates back to the 7th century
- The mirror hall that has images of Nataraja
- The 1000 lingas that are believed to be made on the orders of Lord Rama
The architecture of the place truly is spectacular but try to attend a pooja or aarti at the temple to experience the traditional rituals of the region.
Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple Travel Tips
- Other contact details: +91 08524 –288885/ 288886/ 288887/ 288888
- It is customary to remove your footwear before entering the temple.
- Wear modest clothes. Traditional Indian wear is recommended.
Entrance Ticket Details For Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple
- Admission to the place is free of cost.
- Suprabhatha Darshanam at 5.00 am: INR 300 (for a Couple/ single person)
- Mahamangala Harathi at 5.50 am: INR 200 (single person)
- Athiseegra Darshanam (6.30 am – 1.00 pm; 6.30 pm- 9.00 pm): INR 100 for a couple/ single person
- Special Queue Line Darshanam (6.30 am – 1.00 pm; 6.30 pm- 9.00 pm): INR 50 for a single person
- Free Darshanam in general Queue (6.00 am to 3.30pm; 6.00 pm – 10.00 pm)
- Mahamangala Harathi at 5.00 pm: INR 200 per person
- Quick Darshanam (6.30 am – 1.00 pm; 6.30 pm- 9.00 pm): INR 100
Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple Hours
Darshan and Pooja Hours:
- 4.30 am- 5.00 am: Mangalavadyams
- 5.00 am- 5.15 am: Suprabhatam
- 5.15 am- 6.30 am: Pratahkalapuja, Gopuja and Maha Mangala Harathi.
- 6.30 am- 1.00 pm: Darshanam, Abhishekam and Archanas by the devotees.
- 1.00 pm- 3.30 pm: Alankara Darshanam
- 4.30 pm- 4.50 pm: Mangalavadyams
- 4.50 pm- 5.20 pm: Pradoshakalapuja
- 5.20 pm- 6.00 pm: Susandhyam and Maha Mangala Harathi
- 5.50 pm- 6.20 pm: Rajopachara puja (Parakulu) to Bhramaramba Devi
- 6.20 pm- 9.00 pm: Darshanam, Abhishekam and Archanas
- 9.00 pm- 10.00 pm Dharma Darshanam
- 9.30 pm- 10.00 pm Ekantha Seva
- 10.00 pm: Closure of the temple
How to Reach Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple
- By Bus: APSRTC bus station Srisailam
- By renting a Cab/ Taxi for the day.
- By renting a Car.
- By Walking
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Srisailam before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Srisailam and book an accommodation of your choice.
81.52% of people who visit Srisailam include Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple in their plan
77.78% of people start their Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple