Authentic Old Jail132 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 167 San Marco Ave, St Augustine, FL 32084, United States
- Timings: 08:30 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +1-9048293800
- Ticket Price: 9 USD
- Tags: Observatory, Educational Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Life in prison was made more unpleasant by such hard labour tasks as turning the crank machine, shot drill or climbing the tread wheel. It was thought that these useless and often exhausting activities would act as a preventive and discourage prisoners from committing further crimes on their release. To make life less comfortable, iron beds were introduced during the 19th century. Enter the Authentic Old Jail and find gallows looming in the background, reminding you how numerous lives ended by hanging within the four walls of the jail. You can almost hear gun shots reverberating off the walls!
Built by Henry Flagler in 189, it is the oldest surviving government building in St. John County. The architecture is Romanesque Revival with elements of Queen Anne Victorian. The Old Jail served as the St Johns County Jail until 1953. Originally built to house up to 72 prisoners, the two storey northern wing of the Jail consists of a general population and maximum security area, a women's section and a lower level kitchen. Maximum Security housed the most dangerous prisoners held at the Jail and includes a Death Row cell, for those condemned to die. A total of 8 men were hung from the Gallows on the Jail compound during its history
General conditions at the Jail for those serving varying sentences were quite poor and prisoners were used as free farm labourers during the day. Baths were occasional, toilet facilities consisted of one bucket per cell and diet was meagre and supplemented by any animals that the prisoners might catch while working on the fields. Separation by race was constantly observed at the Jail and disease, violence and death were commonplace. The two story southern wing of the Jail consists of an Office for the Sheriff and living quarters for his family.
The Old Jail Museum consists of a display of weaponry and a pictorial history of the hangings carried, with emphasis on the time the Sheriff CJ Perry was in residence with his family. The Jail is only accessible by guided tour, with costumed guides "processing" in the new prisoners. The Jail also serves as the grand finale to Old Town Trolley's Ghost and Gravestones tour, allowing visitors to access the building by night as well.
Authentic Old Jail Travel Tips
- The Old Jail is listed on the Florida and National Register of Haunted Places.
- The Old Jail has been featured on the Sci-Fi channel series, Ghost Hunters.
- The Old Jail has been the site of countless supernatural occurrences.
- Visitors to the Old Jail have experienced cold spots, strange odours, and loud banging noises, orbs of light, and even apparitions even during the day.
- You’ll be trained to use real ghost-hunting equipment and embark on a real paranormal investigation.
- Guests are advised to bring their cameras and camcorders.
- Other paranormal related equipment will be provided to the guests: EMF detectors, Field Matrix Scanners (laser pens), Digital Voice Recorders.
- Guests are also advised to wear comfortable shoes and clothing for the St. Augustine paranormal tours.
- This experience is perfect for experienced paranormal enthusiasts, but due to the intensity of the paranormal activity that may occur on this tour, it is not recommended for children.
- It is not wheel chair friendly and even strollers, since you have to climb steps.
Entrance Ticket Details For Authentic Old Jail
- For Adult: $8.59
- For Child: $4.77
- For the night tours buy tickets online.
Authentic Old Jail Hours
- Friday & Saturday Nights from 10:30 pm - 1:30 am.
- Subway: Sandwiches
- Dunkin Doughnuts: Desserts
- Cap N Kids: American, Diner, Hamburgers
- Cortesses Bistro: French
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in St Augustine before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in St Augustine and book an accommodation of your choice.