Fort MenendezCurrently Closed
- Address: Saint Augustine, FL, St Augustine, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 11 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fort
Fort Menendez is big and bold, offering opportunities for every level of adventure and excitement. It is easy to find your comfort zone in the activities they provide and you don’t have to any experience to join in the fun. Fort Menendez is a hands-on, interactive experience for all ages. Discover a New World of amusement at Fort Menendez.
Don Pedro Menéndez arrived in St. Augustine in 1565 with 800 colonists to settle the New World in the name of Spain. It was a motivated attempt at colonization. The ship set sail with Africans and Hispanics on board. This was the beginning of the first African American and Hispanic American in the New World. Native Americans were named by Europeans as well. The settlement at the Indian village of Seloy with the combination of Hispanics, Africans and Native Americans, was the very genesis of the American culture that characterizes the nation today.
At Fort Menendez you can travel back in time and be a part of history. Make candles like they did in the colonial days. Explore the new Spanish settlement next to the Village of Seloy where the native Timucua Indians lived. A guide will show you how to participate in the events. There are many twists and turns in every corner of this unique museum. Period characters meet you to greet you and touch the ancient weapons, tools and musical instruments to get a real feel of the ancient civilisation. Make your own artefacts along the way. The fort’s original residents are still there to help you on your journey and make you feel at home.
Fort Menendez Travel Tips
- Educational tours for students are also offered at the Fort Menendez at Old Florida Museum, where students will receive a history of the fort and can make items from the period to take home.
- There is a Gift Shop, Parking is available, Tables & Chairs for you to relax on and Handicapped Parking, Ramps, Wheelchair Seating as well.
- They have educational discounts and family tickets as well.
- The educational tours are offered through three different themes. The first Spanish period in the Spanish Fort Mose history in the Timucua Indian program.
- The second is the American territorial period in the Pioneer Program.
- The third tour is the Spanish period in the Spanish Fort Mose program.
- Also, the students can uncover their own piece of the past in the Archaeological Dig.
- You can earn ducatos (coins) that can be spent in the gift shop when you are done.
- Cheese Wheel & Sandwich Board: Italian, Soups
- Arena's Pizzeria: Pizza
- Fusion Point: Asian
- Tokyo Thai: Japanese, Asian
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in St Augustine before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in St Augustine and book an accommodation of your choice.
10.51% of people who visit St Augustine include Fort Menendez in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
65.22% of people start their Fort Menendez visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort Menendez
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Menendez