Memorial Presbyterian Church148 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 32 Sevilla St, St Augustine, FL 32084, United States
- Timings: 08:30 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-9048296451
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Observatory, Educational Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Embrace God and get your life back on track. Discover the joy of being in the moment. Yesterday was gorgeous, today is gallant and tomorrow will be dazzling. Experience the light which shines like a beacon on the church, beacon of hope. Breathe in courage and be guided by God. At the Memorial Presbyterian Church, they put their Christian faith into action through traditional worship, mission service, and day education for pre-schoolers.
The Memorial Presbyterian Church was built in the late 1800’s by Henry Morison Flagler. It was constructed as a memorial for his daughter, Jennie Louise, who died in child birth along with her infant Marjorie. The building was constructed using poured concrete mixed with crushed coquina stone, and the architectural details were created with terra cotta. The emphasis was on Renaissance style where importance is placed on symmetry, proportion, and geometry. Orderly arrangements of columns, pilasters and lintels, as well as the use of semi-circular arches, hemispherical domes, niches and aedicule makes this church unique. The elaborate terra cotta facings on the building, the intricate mosaic tiles on the floor and the unparalleled carvings throughout the building is a sheer glory. Flagler accomplished his goal in just over a year leaving St. Augustine with a truly exclusive landmark that is still in use today.
This church is also home to one of the most impressive organs in the country. For fans of the instrument, this is a rare occasion to listen in a building designed to impress. Organ Concerts are performed on Wednesday's at noon during the Lenten Season and every Sunday during worship services. This church also provides a Christian atmosphere in which students learn cognitively, grow communally, and prepare themselves to succeed in kindergarten and beyond. The well-informed and skilled teaching staff recognises the inquisitiveness of these toddlers and nurtures the self-confidence of each child in the classroom.
Upon Flagler's death in 1913 he was laid to rest in a marble mausoleum within the church beside his daughter Jennie Louise and her infant Marjorie, as well as his first wife Mary Harkness Flagler. Admission is complimentary, but donations are accepted.
Memorial Presbyterian Church Travel Tips
- They will offer prayer and music each week (courtesy of the band Catalyst) and incorporate drama, dance, fun and fellowship each week.
- Professional child care is provided for all services, as well as Sunday morning education classes.
- They celebrate communion on a monthly basis.
- If you want to enquire about membership then get in touch with Rev. Dr. Dudley.
- There are no tours, so you have to do it on your own. There is a docent in the church where you can ask questions.
- There is no cost to tour but they have stylishly placed a few donation boxes around the church to support the cost of the upkeep. Do contribute.
- Take some time to sit in an old pew as well as a garden bench.
- Parking is a bit of a challenge, but the tourist train stops in front of the church.
Memorial Presbyterian Church Hours
- Worship service: 11am.
- Spiritual Formation( Sunday School): 9.30 am
- Holy Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday of each month
- Sunday Evening Study and Music- 5pm
- Summer Schedule- Memorial Day weekend through Labour Day weekend, 10:00 am.
- Christmas- Christmas Eve 5 pm family service, 11 pm Candlelight Communion.
- Easter Day- 8:30 am, 11:00 am and 4:45 pm.
- The Chocolate Turtle: Café, Desserts
- Rhett’s Piano Bar and Brasserie: American
- The Floridian: Healthy
- Schmagel’s Bagels: American
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in St Augustine before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in St Augustine and book an accommodation of your choice.
11.87% of people who visit St Augustine include Memorial Presbyterian Church in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
35.71% of people start their Memorial Presbyterian Church visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Memorial Presbyterian Church
84.62% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Memorial Presbyterian Church
Memorial Presbyterian Church Reviews & Ratings
This church is amazingly beautiful and will take your breath away. It’s something you should see at least once in your life; you won’t be disappointed. The people there are incredibly friendly and willing to answer any questions you have, but if you prefer to tour on your own, that option is open to you as well. I loved it here, and I hope future visitors will love it as well.
I really enjoyed this stunning church that displayed so much of St Augustine's history.
I have been going to this church since I was born. Every single person there loves you from the inside out. They have beautiful hymnals, and sometimes the Children's Choir does performances. If you want to go to an amazing church this is the place to go. It is currently undergoing lots of renovations on the outside of the church, due to it's history, but the beauty still shines through.❤️ There is also a garden that winds round the church, giving you a scenic walk. If you are planning a visit to St. Augustine, try to wait until the renovations are over. It will definitely be worth it.
Very very beautiful place. Top 5 church in our great country. I loved the one in New Orleans,but just a special
Clerk Paula keeps texting ex husband and claims a mistake - big difference in area codes and name. Does William want to know about this? It's happened nearly a dozen times this year. Terry how's the blue buddah. We have the phone records to prove this! Also Terry were the Margueritas worth it last text received? The phone belongs to me and I obviously see the records. Lose the phone number and contact information already!