Little Black Mountain Petroglyph SiteCurrently Open
- Address: Littlefield, AZ 86432, USA, St George, United States Map
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids
Located around 25 kilometres from St. George, a short hike from the parking takes you to the Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site that has around 500 rock cut designs carved on massive outcrops. The carvings depict turtles, insects, human figures, lizards, bear paws, unique symbols like that of the sun and short messages that are believed to have a religious significance. The hike itself is rather beautiful and easy with the stunning red sandstone (some sections show intense erosion that has created small openings in the parent rock) that makes you believe you are walking on Mars! The wildlife of the place includes rattlesnakes, scorpions and black widow. Be careful about where your step lands. The occasional wildflowers show up with saltbush, indigo bush and Mormon tea around the hiking trail. The place is also one of the most scenic places for taking photographs.
Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and snacks. Wearing sturdy shoes and sunscreen will help.
Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site Hours
- Recommended time of arrival: 8.00 am – 3.00 pm
How to Reach Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site
- By Taxi
- By renting a Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in St George before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in St George and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site Address: Littlefield, AZ 86432, USA, St George, United States
- Time required to visit Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site: 03:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Site Reviews & Ratings
Are dogs allowed on this property and trail? Thanks, Terry J Washington State, USAAnswer Report Abuse