Overlooking the city of St. John’s, the Signal Hill is a National Historic Site of Canada. It is a steep hill that frames the entrance on the north side of St. John’s Harbour from St. John’s Bay. Signal Hill has been a military site since the 17th century. Most importantly during World War I and World War II. Located at the highest point of Signal Hill is the Cabot Tower. It is a grand structure built of irregularly coursed red sandstone and is composed of a two storey square structure with a three storey octagonal tower that stands on the southeast corner of the building. The Cabot Tower is a Classified Federal Heritage Building.
Signal Hill Travel Tips
- Because of the historic architecture of Cabot Tower, it is not wheelchair accessible.
Entrance Ticket Details For Signal Hill
- For Cabot Tower: Adult (17-64): USD 3.90
- Senior (65+): USD 3.40, Youth (6-16): USD 1.90
- Family (upto 7 people, max. 2 adults): USD 9.80
Signal Hill Hours
- Visitor Interpretation Centre: May 21st To June 10th: 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- June 11th to September 3rd: 10 a.m to 6 p.m. daily.
- September 4th to October 15th: 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Closed on Thursday and Friday.
- October 16th to mid May: Closed for season
- Cabot Tower: Mid April to May 31st: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- June 1st to September 3rd: 8.30 a.m to 5 p.m.
- September 4th to November 15th: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- Mid November to Mid April: Closed.
How to Reach Signal Hill
- Bus stop at Duckworth Street
- Hiring a taxi or renting a car is recommended.
- Carrying snacks with you is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in St. Johns before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in St. Johns and book an accommodation of your choice.
82.26% of people who visit St. Johns include Signal Hill in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
48.62% of people start their Signal Hill visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Signal Hill
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Signal Hill