Signal HillCurrently Open
- Address: St. John’s, NL, Canada, St. Johns
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-7097725367
- Ticket Price: 4 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Entertainment, Family And Kids, Sports Camp, Hill
Signal Hill - Review
Overlooking the city of St. John’s, the Signal Hill is a National Historic Site of Canada. It is a steep hill that frames the entrance on the north side of St. John’s Harbour from St. John’s Bay. Signal Hill has been a military site since the 17th century. Most importantly during World War I and World War II. Located at the highest point of Signal Hill is the Cabot Tower. It is a grand structure built of irregularly coursed red sandstone and is composed of a two storey square structure with a three storey octagonal tower that stands on the southeast corner of the building. The Cabot Tower is a Classified Federal Heritage Building.
Signal Hill Information
- Because of the historic architecture of Cabot Tower, it is not wheelchair accessible.
Signal Hill Ticket Prices
- For Cabot Tower: Adult (17-64): USD 3.90
- Senior (65+): USD 3.40, Youth (6-16): USD 1.90
- Family (upto 7 people, max. 2 adults): USD 9.80
Signal Hill Opening and Closing Hours
- Visitor Interpretation Centre: May 21st To June 10th: 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- June 11th to September 3rd: 10 a.m to 6 p.m. daily.
- September 4th to October 15th: 10 a.m to 6 p.m. Closed on Thursday and Friday.
- October 16th to mid May: Closed for season
- Cabot Tower: Mid April to May 31st: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- June 1st to September 3rd: 8.30 a.m to 5 p.m.
- September 4th to November 15th: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- Mid November to Mid April: Closed.
How To reach Signal Hill by Public Transport
- Bus stop at Duckworth Street
- Hiring a taxi or renting a car is recommended.
Restaurants Near Signal Hill
- Carrying snacks with you is recommended.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in St. Johns before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in St. Johns and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Signal Hill
95% of people who visit St. Johns include Signal Hill in their plan
07 AM - 08 AM
62.83% of people start their Signal Hill visit around 07 AM - 08 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Signal Hill
93.21% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Signal Hill
Signal Hill Map
Signal Hill Trips
Signal Hill, St. Johns Reviews
Excellent! I arrived the Parks centre at 10am, and they were in the process of opening. Bought our tickets and watched a historical show about Signal Hill, right away. Reviewed the displays, which were very simple and easy to follow. Watched a tattoo after, which was spectacular. After lunch, walked the various trails, every one of them were scenic. Wind was very strong that day. Have to be careful if you have little ones with you.
Signal Hill is a historic site with breathtaking views and plenty of walking trails. Due be sure to make a stop in the souvenir shop and take the narrow stairs all the way to the top observation area. Parents be sure to keep your children close as there are steep cliffs and low safety walls. This is well worth the drive, or hike, up the hill.
I was dreading walking up this hill before I knew anything about it. But my demeanor quickly changed once I got there! There's not just one trail to take there is like 5. Anywhere from intense to a light leisurely walk! There is a trail for everyone! We took the trail going up to the Queen's battery and Cabot tower. I was blown away by the views! I'm so glad I didn't skip this place on my trip to St. John's. I'm not in the best shape but found the trails easy and fun! Check it out if you're in town!
Easy to find, great little gift shop, easy to difficult trails, lots of info signs, beautiful views, amazing geography, and a must see. The stairs in the tower aren't very wide in some places and the wells can be a little narrow but worth the climb for the viewing platform in the tower. Multiple banners are stored in the top of the tower behind clear partitions but there's no info on why or what they were used for. Still, very nice place historically and well taken care of.
Excellent spot in St John’s. I thought that they would have something to highlight Marconi’s experiment, but there was only a picture. Beautiful spot with great little hikes to do. The views are spectacular.