The Norwegian Canning Museum
About The Norwegian Canning Museum, Stavanger
The city Stavanger had a dirty old stench of fish and other nasty stuff before the trade of oil and gas gave the city a make-over it deserved. Curious about how the city was back then? Well, then you must visit Norwegian Canning Museum that keeps you in the know!
Listen to the story of Stavanger’s fish canning heritage, explore the machineries, equipment, and commercials used at various stages of canning, such as salting, smoking, beheading and packing. The main attractions of this museum are:
- Photographs of canning factories in Stavanger from the 1890s to the 1960s.
- Book an educational program organized by the museum authority.
- Cannery workers’ cottage, built in regency style architecture.
- The museum has a shop to offer a wide selection of gifts including canned products, books published by museum authority, pen, keychain etc.
- First Sunday of any month you can sample freshly smoked Sardine cooked in traditional wood-burning oven.
- On Tuesday and Thursday in summer you can witness the traditional culinary style of cannery community.
The Norwegian Canning Museum Information
- This museum is also known as Norsk Hermetikkmuseum.
- You have to enter the museum from the street via stair or ramp.
- There are no elevators inside the museum.
- Prams are not allowed inside the Exhibition hall, although trolley is available on request.
- You can get free street parking outside the museum.
The Norwegian Canning Museum Tickets Prices
- Children Ticket: 40 NOK
How To Get To The Norwegian Canning Museum by Public Transport
- Bus No. 8, Bus stop: Hertervigs Plass
- Bus No. 2, 8, 10, 25, 28, N87 and N89, Bus Stop: Rudla
Restaurants Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- Ikea Restaurant
- Peking Cuisine Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Stavanger before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Stavanger and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: Ovre Strandgate 88, 4005 Stavanger, Norway
Ticket Price: 60 NOK
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
Added 3.5K times in trip plans
Museum, Observatory, Educational Site, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book The Norwegian Canning Museum Tickets And Tours
A magnificent guided hop-on hop-off tour that shows you the best attractions in the Norwegian city of Stavanger, this one is a must for people who want to make the most of their short vacation. The tour itinerary includes places such as Stavanger Cathedral, Petroleum Museum, Museum of Archaeology and Ledaal Royal Residence.
This enchanting audio tour of the quiet seaside city of Stavanger will take you on a fascinating journey through the cultured streets where you will see sights such as the beautiful Vagen Harbour and the modern Concert Hall
Share your experience - Rate The Norwegian Canning Museum, Stavanger
Important part of Stavanger's past before oil. Great engineering examples of the last century and more. Sample some smoked sardines and find out why an Englishman played such an important role there.
Nice museum to kill some pasttime. A variety of old fashioned tools and materials are displayed which were used for the canning of sardines. Nothing too funky, just a good sunday activity.
A small museum, but worth the 90 NOK entry fee, we spent over an hour here looking around. They had a tour guide to explain the process and old machinery which was awesome. The best part is the old black and white movie upstairs showing the process, don't miss that.
Excellent demonstration of the various stages of sardine canning. Loved the plastic sardines.
Quite a good museum, still I am hesitant to give a perfect score as I would have liked to learn more about the canned fish trade.
- Nearby Attractions
- Sola Strand
- Stavanger Concert Hall
- Roots Of Vikings
- Stavanger Museum
- The Irishman Pub
- Vaulen Beach
- Paseo Por La Calle
- Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- 5 Star Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- Budget Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- Cheap Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- Luxury Hotels Near The Norwegian Canning Museum
- Stavanger Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Stavanger
- 2 Days in Stavanger
- 3 Days in Stavanger
- 4 Days in Stavanger
- 5 Days in Stavanger
- 6 Days in Stavanger
- 7 Days in Stavanger