- Address: Trangsund 1, 111 29 Stockholm, Sweden
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +46-87233000
- Ticket Price: 40 SEK
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Sculpture
This medieval architectural magnificence has been around for nearly as long as Stockholm city. It started out as a chapel for fishermen in the 12th century and underwent many expansions through the centuries. Today the Lutheran church has a Gothic interior and Baroque exterior, but far more significant than the architecture are the cathedral’s treasures:
- Bernt Notke’s 15th century wooden sculpture of St George and the Dragon in commemoration of the 1471 Battle of Brunkeberg in which the Swedes defeated the Danes.
- The Vadersolstavlan or Sun Dog Painting is famous for being a 17th century copy of a now lost 16th medieval painting depicting one of the earliest depictions of a peculiar kind of solar halo.
- The late 17th century French Baroque pulpit with depictions of various events out of the Bible.
- The wooden triptych Silver Altar. Check out the rose window behind it.
Trivia: T.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel were married here in 2010. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Stockholm Itinerary 2 Days.
- Seniors: SEK 30
- Free for under 18 and service goers.
- Groups/guided tours: SEK 40/person + SEK 1000 for the guide.
- Entry fees is voluntary.
- Subway 13, 14, 17, 18, 19 stop Gamla Stan T-bana.
- Buses 3, 53 stop Malartorget.
- Bus 59 stop Kornhamnstorg.
- Buses 2, 53, 55, 57, 76, 96, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 stop Slottsbacken.
- Ferries 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 26, 82 stop Stockholm Slussen kajen.
- Green Ferry Line stop Riddarholmen Ferry Terminal.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Stockholm before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Stockholm and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.68% of people who visit Stockholm include Storkyrkan in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
31.13% of people start their Storkyrkan visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Storkyrkan
65.45% of people prefer walking in order to reach Storkyrkan
Got to watch a choir practice for a Christmas. Great way to enjoy the beauty of the church and the acoustics! Thanks Storakyran.
This church is phenomenal. Beautiful architecture, and a stunning medieval statue. A must for anyone exploring Gamla Stan.
2018: Lucia concert in storkyrkan is always a pleasure.
Great place to visit and it’s worth to climb to the top of the bell tower for some amazing views! Learn more on my blog travelandchampagne
The building of this church is impressive, I was very happy with the visit of this church. Great!