Cathedrale Notre Dame De StrasbourgCurrently Closed
- Address: Place de la Cathedrale, 67000 Strasbourg, Franc e, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: 33-388214334
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture , Cathedral
One of Europe’s most stunning examples of Gothic Architecture, the cathedral is built on the site of a small roman temple. The Bishop who commissioned it in 1015 had wanted a Romanesque influence, but during the renovations in the 12th Century, Alsace was in the tight grip of Gothic influence. The building truly belongs to the city; after the Bishop’s downfall, the municipality and the citizens themselves funded the completion of the church. Completed in 1399, this magnificent construct held the title of the tallest building of the modern world for over 400 years for it’s 142-metre spire. It was converted into a Protestant Church (1521 – 1681) before reverting Catholicism under France’s rule. Despite it’s majesty, the cathedral looks like it’s about to fly off the ground and soar into the sky – it looks light and graceful.
Things to observe include:
- It’s single tower – unique among Gothic Cathedrals
- Over the triple portal Gothic Façade - the statues of the Prophets, the Wise and Mad virgins and the Virtues and Vices
- The baptistery by Dotzinger
- The Mount of Olives
- The Romanesque chancel left in remembrance of the original church.
- The pulpit decorated by Hans Hammer
- The Great Rose Window
- The Gallery of Kings
- St. Pancrace's altar
- 15th-century mural paintings
- The organ
- The astronomical clock – a very popular Renaissance curiosity put together by many artists and technicians. It has an automation mechanism describing the passing of a man’s age. It’s intricately decorated with characters and themes from the bible.
- For an additional fee, you can climb to the cathedral platform, a wonderful Strasbourg viewpoint and get clicking!
There is almost nothing bad to be said about the place. It’s grand in the day; it’s grand in the evening. Put the cherry on the top of your experience here by attending a mass (check website for timings).
Visit 2 weeks in France Itinerary for an unforgettable France travel experience
- You can buy CD’s of religious music recorded by the Cathedral’s four choirs.
- At 1230, the astronomical clock will put on the 12 apostle parade.
- Platform reachable only by the 300-step stairs.
- 4.40 Euros for adults, 2.20 Euros for 5-18 year olds and students.
- Free entry on first Sunday of every month.
- Trams A and DLangstross - Grand'Rue
- Buses at Strasbourg Historical Museum
- Chez Yvonne
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Strasbourg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Strasbourg and book an accommodation of your choice.
94.65% of people who visit Strasbourg include Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg in their plan
37.6% of people start their Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg visit around 07 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg
53.9% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg
Lovely Gothic style Cathedral. Great architecture and style. Very busy with other tourists but you can still enjoy the venue. Easy to get to in the centre of Strasbourg. Well worth a visit even if you are not religious or usually interested in historic buildings.
The amazing view of the cathedral. The sculptures on the outside are very detailed and breath taking! One of the best cathedrals I have ever seen! I would suggest to go there in the night, since you can see the details more clearly and enjoy the calmness without many people around you.
Gorgeous cathedral!! One of our favorites!! An absolute MUST see! Strasbourg is a super quaint city, very beautiful with plenty to see and do! Cathedral makes for a great day trip and a must for those who have seen it and anyone visiting!!
One of the best architectures. Very nice view from inside and outside. Very close to railway station, nearly 8 mints walk. To capture the total view of cathedral extreme right corner is advised. View from the top of cathedral allows to applause the heritage of heritage city.
Huge, impressive, good looking cathedral architectural building. Peaceful church for neighborhood but so many tourist visit during the day and it is now been a tourist trap unfortunately. Because Strasbourg is a touristic destination even I can not understand why. Nice city to walk in the streets. Very expensive for car parking. Very expensive accommodation.