Cathedrale Notre Dame De StrasbourgCurrently Closed
- Address: Place de la Cathedrale, 67000 Strasbourg, Franc e, France
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: 33-388214334
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture , Cathedral
Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg - Review
One of Europe’s most stunning examples of Gothic Architecture, the cathedral is built on the site of a small roman temple. The Bishop who commissioned it in 1015 had wanted a Romanesque influence, but during the renovations in the 12th Century, Alsace was in the tight grip of Gothic influence. The building truly belongs to the city; after the Bishop’s downfall, the municipality and the citizens themselves funded the completion of the church. Completed in 1399, this magnificent construct held the title of the tallest building of the modern world for over 400 years for it’s 142-metre spire. It was converted into a Protestant Church (1521 – 1681) before reverting Catholicism under France’s rule. Despite it’s majesty, the cathedral looks like it’s about to fly off the ground and soar into the sky – it looks light and graceful.
Things to observe include:
- It’s single tower – unique among Gothic Cathedrals
- Over the triple portal Gothic Façade - the statues of the Prophets, the Wise and Mad virgins and the Virtues and Vices
- The baptistery by Dotzinger
- The Mount of Olives
- The Romanesque chancel left in remembrance of the original church.
- The pulpit decorated by Hans Hammer
- The Great Rose Window
- The Gallery of Kings
- St. Pancrace's altar
- 15th-century mural paintings
- The organ
- The astronomical clock – a very popular Renaissance curiosity put together by many artists and technicians. It has an automation mechanism describing the passing of a man’s age. It’s intricately decorated with characters and themes from the bible.
- For an additional fee, you can climb to the cathedral platform, a wonderful Strasbourg viewpoint and get clicking!
There is almost nothing bad to be said about the place. It’s grand in the day; it’s grand in the evening. Put the cherry on the top of your experience here by attending a mass (check website for timings).
Visit 2 weeks in France Itinerary for an unforgettable France travel experience
Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg Information
- You can buy CD’s of religious music recorded by the Cathedral’s four choirs.
- At 1230, the astronomical clock will put on the 12 apostle parade.
- Platform reachable only by the 300-step stairs.
Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg Ticket Prices
- 4.40 Euros for adults, 2.20 Euros for 5-18 year olds and students.
- Free entry on first Sunday of every month.
How To reach Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg by Public Transport
- Trams A and DLangstross - Grand'Rue
- Buses at Strasbourg Historical Museum
Restaurants Near Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg
- Chez Yvonne
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Strasbourg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Strasbourg and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg
94.65% of people who visit Strasbourg include Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg in their plan
37.6% of people start their Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg visit around 07 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg
53.9% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg
Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg Trips
3 Views22 Days 21 Nights22 Day Trip to Paris, Prague, Nuremberg, Strasbourg from Cape TownBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Paris, Strasbourg, Nuremberg, Prague
2 Views16 Days 15 Nights16 Day Trip to Austria, Germany, Switzerland, France, United Kingdom from WoodwayBy: Guest UserCity: Carlisle, Strasbourg, Zurich, Vienna, Munich
Cathedrale Notre Dame De Strasbourg, Strasbourg Reviews
This church is a must to see in Strasbourg. First of all, as you can see from outside the Gothic architecture is fascinating. Then, on the inside, you can feel what a church should make you feel, awe. Every little detail is carefully designed, stained glass windows so beautiful, a great pipe organ, a famous astronomical clock! On the side of the building there is entrance to go up on the roof and see the magnificent view. 330 steps, 60 metres! Strasbourg is on your feet and people seem so small from above there. I really enjoyed it!
Very nice cathedral. Well preserved and pretty. The glass stained windows are really great to see the light come through on the inside and the astrological clock is really amazing. Definitely recommend going if you have the chance since it's free. Additionally, there's lots of nice shops and restaurants around the place and it's a really beautiful place to be. The old Town is really pretty and closer by with lots of bakeries and cafes, and closer by is the more modern shopping center with Zara, Starbucks, etc.
The Cathedral of Strasbourgo is monumental. Situated in the old part of town it appears to us in the middle of other imposing houses. The + entrance is huge and the houses around it are simply fantastic. Around the Cathedral there are lots of souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants. A miniature of the Cathedral is exposed on the outside so that we can see the dimensions of the building. In the months of July and August the nights are lively with light shows projected in the Cathedral (free) Simply amazing. To not lose
Mesmerizing church with rich history behind. Must visit place if in Strasbourg, infarct this cathedral attracts more tourist to Strasbourg itself. The work of architecture, art and sculpture is amazing. Should visit to appreciate the detailing that went into this cathedral construction and establishment. its being maintained well till date.
Fantastic skeletal spire with intricate carved portico. Personally I think it looks better at night especially with the spire internally illuminated. Inside there is a large colourful organ which appears to be well hung from the ceiling