Saint Marys CathedralCurrently Closed
- Address: St Marys Rd, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61-292200400
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
The St. Mary’s Cathedral is almost the largest church in Australia which is also the home to the Archbishop of Sydney. The church is regarded as a Minor Basilica, and is very favourably located in central Sydney. Its structural speciality is in its exceptional twin spires. It bears numerous holy and religious relics and articles. The highly decorated and sculptured walls also bear the beautiful oil paintings of the internationally famous Stations of the Cross.
The walls in the western section are adorned by the Pieta of Michelangelo in marble. The aisle of the church bears the Grave of the Unknown Soldier, which was previously placed in the crypt. The floor of the crypt is decorated with marble. There are elite groups of choir and musical performers, as well as numerous variations of pipe organs and church bells that make the cathedral a buzzing musical centre. The Cathedral preserves the burial ground of the Third Roman Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, St. Patrick Francis Moran.
- The Cathedral is extensively decorated with channel windows made of stained glass and highlighted and featured by skylight along with lighting.
- Do not miss the western transept rose window rises behind organ pipes. It is simply breathtakingly beautiful.
- Mass timings: 6.45am, 1.10pm, 5.30pm (Choral Mass Monday to Thursday during School term time)
- Saturday 9.00am, 12.00pm
- Sunday 7.00am, 9.00am, 10.30am (Solemn Choral Mass), 6.00pm (Youth Mass)
- Public Holidays 12noon
- Nearest train station: St. James Station
- Nearest Bus Station: College St Near Prince Albert Rd
- Bodhi Restaurant
- David Jones Foodhall
- Max Brenner Chocolate Hall
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sydney before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sydney and book an accommodation of your choice.
18.93% of people who visit Sydney include Saint Marys Cathedral in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
47.73% of people start their Saint Marys Cathedral visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Saint Marys Cathedral
83.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Saint Marys Cathedral
St Mary's Cathedral is located near Hyde Park. There is a small fountain in front of it. You will never miss the cathedral! The building is authentic and beautiful. Such a amazing place inside and out. You can feel the church hugging you when you're in their.
シティのど真ん中のハイドパークの隣にある有名な大聖堂です。 とにかくフォトジェニックですね、正面からも噴水広場があってすごく綺麗だし横から眺めても美しいです。 中も無料で見学出来ます。騒いだりしなければ席に座ることもできます。お祈りしている人もいますので邪魔しないように注意しましょう。 中も装飾が綺麗だしすごく荘厳な雰囲気なので建築に興味がある人は行ってみることをお勧めします。 グッズも中で販売しています。
Free to enter and worth walking in to experience the Australian version of neogothic architecture from the mid nineteenth century. Occupying a beautiful site on the edge of the two central parks in Sydney. Just be aware that many locals come in to pray so avoid happy snapping and chatting about your holidays while you are inside.
I enjoy this place of worship. Very huge and truly gives holy and godly vibes to its place. This is a great place to worship Christianity
If you like visiting churches, a must see. The wife absolutely adored the visit.