Saint Marys CathedralCurrently Closed
- Address: St Marys Rd, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61-292200400
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Saint Marys Cathedral - Review
The St. Mary’s Cathedral is almost the largest church in Australia which is also the home to the Archbishop of Sydney. The church is regarded as a Minor Basilica, and is very favourably located in central Sydney. Its structural speciality is in its exceptional twin spires. It bears numerous holy and religious relics and articles. The highly decorated and sculptured walls also bear the beautiful oil paintings of the internationally famous Stations of the Cross.
The walls in the western section are adorned by the Pieta of Michelangelo in marble. The aisle of the church bears the Grave of the Unknown Soldier, which was previously placed in the crypt. The floor of the crypt is decorated with marble. There are elite groups of choir and musical performers, as well as numerous variations of pipe organs and church bells that make the cathedral a buzzing musical centre. The Cathedral preserves the burial ground of the Third Roman Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, St. Patrick Francis Moran.
Saint Marys Cathedral Information
- The Cathedral is extensively decorated with channel windows made of stained glass and highlighted and featured by skylight along with lighting.
- Do not miss the western transept rose window rises behind organ pipes. It is simply breathtakingly beautiful.
Saint Marys Cathedral Opening and Closing Hours
- Mass timings: 6.45am, 1.10pm, 5.30pm (Choral Mass Monday to Thursday during School term time)
- Saturday 9.00am, 12.00pm
- Sunday 7.00am, 9.00am, 10.30am (Solemn Choral Mass), 6.00pm (Youth Mass)
- Public Holidays 12noon
How To reach Saint Marys Cathedral by Public Transport
- Nearest train station: St. James Station
- Nearest Bus Station: College St Near Prince Albert Rd
Restaurants Near Saint Marys Cathedral
- Bodhi Restaurant
- David Jones Foodhall
- Max Brenner Chocolate Hall
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sydney before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sydney and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Saint Marys Cathedral
35.53% of people who visit Sydney include Saint Marys Cathedral in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
37.22% of people start their Saint Marys Cathedral visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Saint Marys Cathedral
89.21% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Saint Marys Cathedral
Saint Marys Cathedral Cruises
Saint Marys Cathedral Sightseeing Tours
Saint Marys Cathedral Map
Saint Marys Cathedral Trips
Saint Marys Cathedral, Sydney Reviews
Gorgeous cathedral built in 1928. They also have flat screen monitors so every seat is good. Nice church service and it's in Hyde Park so you can have a beautiful walk after visiting. Also has an Australian war memorial inside.
Wow! Just wow. The cathedral is such a beautiful place, with its serene atmosphere and history. Just being there shut out the outer world and covers one's existence with a calm that's inexplicable. I even noticed my breathing become even and with long breaths. This was one outstanding experience, Amen.
Absolutely worth a visit. Whether you're Catholic or not, you can admire the love and devotion that went into the architecture and design. If you can, pay the extra $5 at the Gift Shop to see the Crypt downstairs. Simply gorgeous. There are security guards, but as long as you obey the rules, you'll have no issues. Gents, remove your hats. Ladies, cover your shoulders. Avoid talking, but whisper if you must. Stay away from the centre pews. Check the Mass times, and avoid going at this time if you don't wish to hear the sermon. Well worth going at Midday, the pealing of the bells was phenomenal. Wheelchairs are definitely welcome, noisy or unruly children not so much. Remember, this is a place of worship.
The architecture of this church is beautiful. It is large but not ludicrously massive. You are able enter and roam around when there is not a mass. Even if there is one going on, you are more than welcome to sit and listen. The middle section is only for prayer so do not take pictures there.
My absolute favourite Catholic building in all of Australia. Magnificent architecture, beautiful sacred art, glorious music, reverent liturgies. Always an uplifting experience just to walk through its doors.
All QuestionsSaint marys cathedral
- Murrayville United Methodist Church
- Double L Quarter Horses
- Murrayville Baptist Church
- Murrayville United Methodist Parsonage
- Sandy Creek Baptist Assoc
- Murrayville House Of Prayer
- Little Egypt Woodmen Camp
- Faith Church Of God
- St Paul's Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- Calvary Southern Baptist Church
- West Frankfort Bowl
- Depot Veterans Memorial & Coal Miner's Memorial
- Third Baptist Church
- Harmony Freewill Baptist Church
- Strawberry Meadows