Taronga Zoo is one of the most popular zoos in Australia as well as in the whole world. For the betterment of development and management, the zoo has been divided into eight large sections that are collectively home to about 350 species of animals. Comprised of a zoo store and shop, as well as a restaurant and assistance unit, the Taronga Zoo is a very highly visited location in Sydney. It was designated as a record building zoo to have bred the duckbilled platypus.
It was also the first zoo in Australia to have witnessed an Asian elephant give birth to a calf,which was also, incidentally, the first calf ever to have been born in the Australian continent. The authorities of the zoo also provide facilities for the conveyance of tourists through the zoo ferry facility, along with the ride of gondolas, as well as State Bus facilities. The services are also associated with the Sydney Harbour transport organization.
You may also be interested in Australia in 2 weeks Itinerary
- One needs to walk a lot between exhibits so it is important to take along hats, caps sunscreen and wear proper walking shoes.
- The zoo is accessible by wheelchair.
- Download a map to make sure you are able to see all that you want to so as to not tire yourself out.
- Child(4-15 Years): $26
- Concession $36
- Family Pass (2A & 2C) $129.60
- 9.30am - 4.30pm (May - Aug)
- 9.30am - 5.00pm (Sept - Apr)
- 9.30am - 4.30pm (New Years Eve)
- Taronga is open everyday of the year including Christmas Day.
- Children under 4 years of age are free to enter.
- You will have to reah this zoo via ferry that departs from Wharf 2 at Circular Quay every 30 minutes.
- The Zoo Express departs daily from Darling Harbour Pier 26 and Circular Quay.
- The Taronga Zoo shuttle departs twice daily from either Darling Harbour, (King Street Wharf #8) or Circular Quay (Eastern Pontoon).
- The 247 via Military Road and Bradleys Head Road to Taronga Zoo can be caught from Wynyard - Stand A (Carrington St) or QVB Stand D (York St).
- The Bather’s Pavilion
- The White Hart
- Hawthorn Mosman
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Sydney before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Sydney and book an accommodation of your choice.
25.37% of people who visit Sydney include Taronga Zoo in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
78.21% of people start their Taronga Zoo visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Taronga Zoo
91.4% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Taronga Zoo
Really good emphasis on conservation. Good ethos throughout. Extensive building works ongoing currently. All the animals looked well kept and happy. Great views across the bay in between looking at the amazing animals. Very reasonable entry cost when bought combined with ferry ticket. Sky car is a neat little way to get to the top too. Don't miss the gorgeous little frogs exhibit! The bird show was also fantastic.
Lovely zoo! The ride to the zoo with the ferry is what makes it very Sydney-like. We didn’t take the gondola as there were loads of people waiting so we simply walked everywhere but that was so lovely. It was very busy around lunchtime, but after about 3pm people started to leave so it was nice and quiet. The animals are in good shape and seem happy. Caretakers seemed also very professional and caring! The bird show was excellent 👍🏽 I wish it were a bit longer than 12 minutes though. Overall, a wonderful experience!
Great bus service to Taronga zoo. Enjoyed looking around the zoo. Lots of ice cream & water stores along the way while visiting the zoo. The information desk was amazing. The people there helped me to get to where I needed to go. Would recommend the information desk to anyone. Great service.
We had a really enjoyable day out. Unfortunately some of the park is closed currently due to renovations. However, we still enjoyed the day. I recommend wearing comfortable shoes because there is a lot of walking involved. Even with some of the zoo closed, we walked a lot over four hours approximately. The food was not good in the food market. I would suggest taking your own or don't eat the burger or chicken. This is the reason for four stars.
Love Taronga. Become a Zoo Friend so you can visit as many times as you like. Great for kids of all ages (0-122). We work our way backwards and forwards until you get to the bottom then get the Sky Safari back to the top. Try and catch the Free Flight Bird Show and the Seal Show. Tops!