Chiesa Di San Giovanni BattistaCurrently Open
- Address: Piazza del Precursore, 96100, Syracuse, Sicily, Italy
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-093165979
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista is where Syracuse’s most extensive underground catacombs run. The church is dedicated to the city’s first Bishop Marcian who was tied to one of the pillars of the church and flogged to death in the 3rd century. The current day church dates back to the 15th century and was built all the way till the 18th century and was constructed on the former grounds of a basilica that dated back to the 4th century.
The catacombs are structured in a definite way with the main chamber leading into the rotonde (round chambers) that were used for praying. The sarcophagus found here is now a part of the Museo Archeologico Paolo Orsi and all of the underground treasure is robbed away long ago. However, to take a walk around the catacombs is a must for history lovers.
Speaking of the church itself, the architecture is a highlight in itself and the 15th century façade, a rosette window and belfry that can be seen even from a distance, pull visitors to explore its interiors. The interior consists of a Latin cross with side altars that are dedicated to Santa Maria della Speranza, St. Bartholomew Apostle and Saint Anthony of Padua. The three naves spin a magic of their own and even though not much to see, the ambience of the church is something that is best felt.
Chiesa Di San Giovanni Battista Travel Tips
- The catacombs can be an issue for people who suffer from Claustrophobia. It is advised that you talk to the tour guides for more information and precautions.
- You can only access the catacombs by taking the tour.
Entrance Ticket Details For Chiesa Di San Giovanni Battista
- Guided Tour- Adult: Euros 8; Reduced: Euros 5
How to Reach Chiesa Di San Giovanni Battista
- By Bus: at Interbus Spa (4.4 kilometers away)
- By Train: Siracusa Train station (4.4 kilometers away)
- On Foot
- By renting electrical bicycle/ bike/ scooter/ car
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Syracuse before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Syracuse and book an accommodation of your choice.