Noto Antica8 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 96017 Noto, Province of Syracuse, Italy, 96017
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Ancient Ruin, Family And Kids, Landmarks, Historic And Protected Sites
Located 40 kilometres from Syracuse, Noto Antica or the ancient city of Noto dates back to the Antique Bronze age (18-15 century BC) and was broken down to ruins in the earthquake of 1693. The city was also the last city under Muslim rule to be conquered by Normans.
The stone ruins have given it the name of ‘Stone Garden’. The Sicel tombs at the Finocchito necropolis of the place are what you see first as you approach Mount Alveria (called Netum by the Romans).
Once in the city, start with a walk through the beautiful Corso Vittorio Emanuele surrounded by beautiful baroque churches and palatial buildings. The Artichoke Cave, Byzantine catacombs, and the Grotto of Hundred Bouches- all make for quiet an interesting walk through the ruins while a walk around the Castle with the underground Christian-Byzantine catacomb make for one of the most fascinating visits in the ancient city.
Other highlights of the city include:
- The Hospital of S. Martino (S. Maria di Loreto)
- Piazza Maggiore
- Hellenistic-Jerusalemian Gymnasium ( that dates back to the 3rd century BC)
- Orti del Carmine
- Hermitage of St. Mary of Providence that is loved for its view of the Durbo valley
- Palazzo Nicolaci loved for its architecture and gorgeous balconies
The most loved aspect of the city is just how well it preserves its historical attractions and makes it easily accessible in the current times. For history lovers, a walk here, is nothing less than spectacular.
Noto Antica Travel Tips
- The Noto town is located around 40 Kilometres from Syracuse. To make the most of your time here and for ease of conveyance, do prefer taking a locally operated tour.
Entrance Ticket Details For Noto Antica
Admission Fee For
- Palazzo Ducezio: Euros 1.50 per person
- Palazzo Nicolaci: Euros 1.50 per person
- Chiesa di San Carlo: Euros 1.50 per person
For admission fee of other individual attractions around Noto, visit the official website.
Noto Antica Hours
- Recommended time of arrival is 9.00 am to 10.00 am.
- Timings of individual attractions around the town vary. For more information, visit the official website.
- The town of Noto and most of the cafes around the place are closed on Monday.
How to Reach Noto Antica
- You can ask a local tour operator for conveyance ease
- By renting electrical bicycle/ bike/ scooter/ car
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Syracuse before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Syracuse and book an accommodation of your choice.
2.37% of people who visit Syracuse include Noto Antica in their plan
37.5% of people start their Noto Antica visit around 12 PM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Noto Antica
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Noto Antica