‘The World Heritage Site’ a name given by UNESCO to this Italian city, Syracuse. A city that screams ancient Greek history from every inch of it. Gigantic remains from the past and larger than life lifestyle is not the only things that you will see. There are enormous theatres and amphitheatres showing the city inclination towards the theatrical bliss, they even celebrate theatre for three long months, any theatre lover out there? The outdoor markets selling pottery work and much more and eating and drinking places serving the most scrumptious pizzas and beers will take your vacation stories to a next level.
Syracusestick to their traditions and culture and still celebrate it in the most beauteous way like the celebration of the patron saint, St. Lucy. Back in the history it was the capital of Sicily government and one of the most important port for trading.
Syracuse had been destroyed during the World War 2 but has been recovering since then and is one of the most alluring destinations for all the history lovers of the world. The ruins and remains of ancient history are something even a non-history lover would be interested in.
Essential travel information and Syracuse tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Central European Time Zone, 3 and half hours behind Indian time.
- Currency: Euros
- Electricity and Internet: 220 V 50 Hz, Plug Type L. Internet is available in all the hotels and parts of the city.
- Languages: Italian and English
- Off-beaten path in Syracuse: Often the visitors miss Piazza San Rocco, located between Duomo and Fonte Aretusa. This place has the coolest bars and relaxing places, it is a kind of place that will definitely pull you back to Syracuse.
- Tipping in Syracuse: Usually it is 1 to 3 Euros
- Customs: People don’t dance at bars, the night spots in Syracuse are primarily for hanging out, drinking and getting some delicious food.
- Security: Police: 113; Ambulance: 118; Military Police: 112; Traffic: 1518
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Syracuse
Save 4%Cooking Class in Ortigia
4 Hrs3 Reviews
Save 8%La Perla Blu Siracusa Old City Center And Sea Caves Excursion Boat
1 Hr 30 Mins1 Reviews
Save 8%Wine Tasting and Sicilian Lunch at a Winery in Noto
3 Hrs2 Reviews
Save 7%Syracuse Ortigia and Noto Day Trip from Catania
8 Hrs23 Reviews
Save 10%Syracuse Day Trip from Taormina
9 Hrs71 Reviews