Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande
- Address: Syracuse, Sicily, Italy
- Phone: +39-093167450
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Trail, Nature
About Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande, Syracuse
If nature is what you love, the Riserva Naturale Orientata Cavagrande del Cassibile is just where you need to head to when in Syracuse. The huge reserve covers 2700 hectares of lush green mountains, caves and ponds in the towns of Noto, Syracuse and Avola and was established to preserve not just the endogenic species of flora and fauna but also to maintain the anthropological history of the city. The reserve has innumerable tombs and is divided into Zone A and Zone B.
The Sicani people were the first to inhabit this place and in the 13th century BC the powerful population belonging to Sicily took refuge here for its natural terrain that provided effective defence. The Cassible river is a historic site in itself and offers a canyon view like no other in Italy while the small Pond of cavagrande is where you can find a small monastery during your hike through the reserve.
Other highlights of the place include:
- Grotto of the brigands
- Endemic birds of Sicily spotted here- especially the Codibugnolo.
- Famous hiking trails around the reserves including the Diary trail, Scala Cruci, Scale of Fossus Calcagno and the Ladies Ladder trail.
Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande Information
- Carry ample of bottled drinking water and snacks.
- Wear sturdy shoes for the hike.
- Camping and Fire is not allowed on the reserve.
Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande Ticket Prices
- You have to pay an admission fee at the Belvedere Trailhead. For precise admission fee, visit the official website or call up the reserve.
Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande Opening and Closing Hours
- Recommended time of arrival is 8.00 am to 10.00 am.
- Call up the place for reserve timings.
How To reach Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande by Public Transport
- On Foot
- By renting electrical bicycle/ bike/ scooter/ car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Syracuse before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Syracuse and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande
95% of people who visit Syracuse include Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
61.08% of people start their Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande
Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande Map
Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande Trips
Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande, Syracuse Reviews
Beautiful! However, be warned - the hike is no joke. Make sure you are prepared and bring plenty of water and proper footwear. Also, bring/wear a bathing suit! Swimming at the end of the hike makes it worth it :)
Main entrance to the trail has been closed for the last 4 years. But there is an alternate entrance over the fence a few times meters away. Did the walk with our 4 year old, down to the water and back up. Takes 2 to 3 hours.Great view.
Fantastic area beautiful views over a ravine unfortunately closed at the moment due to falling rocks. Still good to go see from the top. Wear sturdy footwear if you attempt the climb and a good level of fitness is required.
But the best swimming of all is to be found further upstream, in the Cassibile's lagoons. The Laghetti di Cava Grande del Cassibile are impossibly beautiful and inviting - and impossibly far away, too: at the bottom of a great gorge, the deepest in Europe.The path, made in prehistoric times, goes down sharply. The bottom never seems to get any closer. People are stopping for breathers even on the way down. You descend into shadowy coolness, lush with reeds and pink oleanders. And there at last are the lagoons, fiery-green as opals. Clothes off, dive into unbelievably clear water, squealingly cold. Bubbles wobble to the surface like silvery jellyfish. Swim and sunbathe, sunbathe and swim. The walk back up is not so bad. It takes forever, but you would do it again in a heartbeat.
We visited during the UK October half term so relatively quiet here. A sign at the top prohibited entry and warned of falling rocks and the gate to the path was locked, probably due to public liability concerns. However we were assured that the path was okay by a walker who was on his way up. So we climbed the gate and had a very pleasant 45 minute walk each way to the canyon and pools below. So proceed at your own risk. The path was rocky under foot and slippery down by the pools so take care. We paddled in the pools and did not swim because it wasn’t the warmest of days.
All QuestionsOriented nature reserve cavagrande
Find places near Oriented Nature Reserve Cavagrande, Syracuse
Convivium Il Ristorante Contrada Montagna s.n.1.976 km away
Convivium Il Ristorante Contrada Montagna s.n.1.977 km away
Locanda Rurale Santa Marta Strada Provinciale 4 km 8 Avola Antica2.435 km away
- Convento Dei Padri Cappuccini
- Parco Archaeologico Della Neapolis
- Klubb Emerald
- Aretusa Promozione E Sviluppo Società Cooperativa
- Cinema Mignon
- La Compagnia Dei Pupari Vaccaro Mauceri
- Istituto Figlie Della Misericordia E Della Croce Getsemani
- Suore Francescane Missionarie Di Maria
- Parrocchia S. Maria Dei Miracoli
- Parrocchia SS Salvatore
- St Michael United Methodist
- Haddock Carroll
- Colonel John Gotea Pressley House
- Through The Storm Outreach Ministries
- House Of God Church
- First Baptist Church
- Powell's Quick Stop & Tackle
- The Word Of God Ministries
- Church Of God & T H Apost
- Ouimette, J Edward
- Central Community Center
- Antioch Baptist Church
- Wilson Chapel 1st Baptist Church
- McIntosh Airport
- New Friendship Fwb Church