Visit Taipei - Best of Taipei
Often considered as the thriving capital of the Republic of China, Taipei took time in upgrading itself from what it was around 300 years back. With Japanese, Chinese and Western influences on its culture, art, architecture and food Taipei has come to a conclusion that it has turned into a multicultural hub and all these has worked in the betterment of the city. What was once known to be the ugly duckling of cities because of its huge traffic, Taipei is now turned into a comfortable, dynamic and livable. However, this cosmopolitan vibrant city still has its root in its history. Probably, this factor has worked in increasing tourism in Taipei. At the same time, the rich history of China and Taiwan that had developed in Taipei is hard to ignore in today’s time. A visit to the National Palace Museum of Taipei can let you see some of the glorious historical stories of China and Taiwan.
However, history is not the only thing Taipei has to offer. Being influenced by many regions of the east and west, Taipei has developed a perfect platter to treat its foodies. Travelers who are keen about the food culture of their destination should take a day trip especially in an MRT that takes to some of the finest region of Taipei. The ride takes you to the tea fields, hot springs and the colonial towns where you can enjoy the authentic food of China. Don’t miss out the heritage lanes which are now cleverly turned into gourmet cafes and boutique centers.
You just need to explore the hidden corners of the city to cherish its true beauty. A trip to this city will let you realize that the city maintains a balance between beauty and business and Taipei has every reason to boast. Each one of you should visit Taipei at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Taipei.
Taipei Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Taipei tips for your visit
- Be careful while crossing the road.
- Be careful of whatever you eat over there.
- For women and children travelling by metro at night can take advantage of the Safe Zone – the section of the platform that is always under high surveillance.
- For a single journey, MRT also sells Easy cards (value added cards/smartcards).
- When you are travelling by bus, follow the locals how they pay the ticket price.
- Time Zone: CST (China Standard Time)
- Currency: New Taiwan Dollar (TWD)
- Electricity & Internet: 110v – Voltage; 60Hz – Frequency; type A/B – Power Socket. Complimentary wired Internet service and free Wi-Fi access is available in some of the hotels.
- Language: Mandarin Chinese is the official language of Taipei. English and Japanese are other foreign languages spoken over here.
- Security: Police -110; Fire, ambulance – 119; Emergency call – 112;
- Off-beaten Path: Climb up the mountain in Maokong to get the best view of Taipei and enjoy a nice cup of Chinese tea. Visit Wulai, a small aboriginal village.
- Tourist Traps: Be aware of the cab drivers that ask for flat fee as they quote high price.
- Customs: Handshake is the most common form of greeting a local.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Taipei and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Taipei- Know before you go to Taipei
Facts and Stats for Taipei*
Pollution Statistics in Taipei
Know the pollution level of Taipei before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 48.63 (Moderate)
Water Pollution 45.52 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 51.1 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 30.88 (Low)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 32.35 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 22.39 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 37.5 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 34.93 (Low)
Taipei: Crime and Safety
How safe is Taipei for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Taipei.
Burglary and Theft 16.86 (Very Low)
Mugging and Robbery 13.91 (Very Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 14.89 (Very Low)
Corruption and Bribery 40.63 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 18.99 (Very Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 20.31 (Low)
Attacks 16.29 (Very Low)
Drug offense 25 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 89.39 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 83.46 (Very High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 17.75 (Very Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 13.65 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 21.35 (Low)
Living in Taipei - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Taipei is 170.05 (Very High)
Safety Index 80.05 (Very High)
Climate Index 87.19 (Very High)
Pollution Index 49 (Moderate)
Traffic Commute Time Index 32.13 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 74.03 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 83.33 (Very High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 18.07 (Very High)
Purchasing Power Index 104.57 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Taipei
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Taipei
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.21 USD
International Movie per seat 10.32 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 41.45 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 92.37 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 85.82 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Taipei Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Taipei
Taipei Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Taipei
121 Reviews Duration: 3 Hrs 30 Mins
Taipei comes alive at night and the city is a buzzing. This 3.5-hour night tour of Taipei starts with exploring the ancient L...
USD 52.5Book Now
373 Reviews Duration: 5 Days
This 5-day Taiwan tour will take you around the whole island, opening your eyes to the countrys diverse, astounding beauty an...
USD 582.5Book Now
25 Reviews Duration: 2 Days
Enjoy the sights of Taiwans must-see destinations on this bus tour from Taipei. As you are comfortably seated inside a tour b...
USD 227.99Book Now
5 Reviews Duration: 10 Hrs
Enjoy a scenic day trip and motorboat cruise around the clear emerald waters of Sun Moon Lake, Taiwans largest body of water....
USD 258Book Now
- Cities Near Taipei
- Taipei Station Tourism
- Kaohsiung Public Library Lingya Branch Tourism
- Taipei City Government Tourism
- Hsr Tainan Station Tourism
- Chiayi City Government Tourism
- Xitun District Tourism
- Yongkang Tourism
- Shilin District Tourism
- Nanjing Station Tourism
- Yilan Tourism
- Gangping Elementary School Tourism
- Nangang District Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Chalky Mount Tourism
- Windy Hill Tourism
- Chebeague Island Tourism
- Jarville-la-malgrange Tourism
- Rothbury Tourism
- Nemo Tourism
- Collorec Tourism
- Silver Creek Tourism
- Urawa Ward Tourism
- Ormesson-sur-marne Tourism