Today it’s an entertainment and nightlife neighbourhood, but the Ybor’s origins lie in the cigar factories here that once produced millions of cigarettes, and the immigrant labourers who made them. The Great Depression of the 1920s nearly killed the neighbourhood and over the next decades the place declined and deteriorated. The moving in artists looking for cheap places to stay in the 1980s put it back into the path of recovery. An explosion ofbars, restaurants, nightclubs led to an explosion of traffic. Now, not only is this Tampa’s premier party destination, a portion of the district, GaYbor, has established business neighbourhood catering to the LGBT community.
Several annual events take place here, such as:
- Fiesta - Latin culture and food, mid-February.
- Sant'Yago Knight Parade - The Saturday following the Gasparilla Pirate Festival in late February.
- Rough Rider's St. Patrick's Night Parade - St. Patrick's Day illuminated nighttime parade.
- FestaItaliana Weekend – Mid-April Italian food fest.
- GaYbor Days– Four day street fest.
Museums of note include:
- Cigar Museum And Visitor Center, Ybor City
- Ybor City Museum State Park
- TECO Line Streetcar Museum
The place is now recognised as an important neighbourhood and listed as a National Historic Landmark District. A number of buildings here are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
How to Reach Ybor City
- Buses 5, 12 and 15 to various stations.
- James Joyce Irish Pub
- Burger King
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Tampa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Tampa and book an accommodation of your choice.
65.59% of people who visit Tampa include Ybor City in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
51.61% of people start their Ybor City visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Ybor City
93.68% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ybor City
Ybor City Reviews & Ratings
When is the Fiesta Latin party to be this year?Answer Report Abuse
Commemorating the Cuban, Italian, Spanish, Jewish and German immigrants that settled in Ybor City, the Fiesta Day & Parade of Flags festival will take place on 23rd February 2019. Details as below:
- Venue: 16th Street & 7th Avenue Tampa
- Time: 11:00 am - 6:00 pm