Tashkent (or Toshkent in Uzbek), is the capital, largest and the most populated city of Uzbekistan. Located the north-east of the country close to the Kazakhstan border, Tashkent has been mainly influenced by Sogdian, Turkic and Islamic cultures. In 2009, Tashkent celebrated its 2,200 years of written history.
The history of this place is quite prominent. In 1219, Tashkent was invaded and destroyed by Genghis Khan after which it was rebuilt. Following this, the city profited quite a lot from the Silk Road. Over the years leading up to the 20th century, Tashkent witnessed many changes of hands, from Khanate of Kokand to the Russian Empire before finally becoming an independent city. Tashkent was also where Boris Grabovsky invented the first ever fully-electronic TV set in 1925.
From tourism perspective, Tashkent's traditional architectural heritage and many Soviet-era monuments make for a great sightseeing experience. The Kukeldash Madrasah, Chorsu Bazaar, Alisher Navoi Opera and Ballet Theatre, and the Amir Timur Museum are just some of the many places to visit in Tashkent.
Essential travel information and Tashkent tips for your visit
- Time zone: Uzbekistan Standard Time (GMT+5)
- Currency: Uzbekistan Som (UZS)
- Electricity: The standard voltage is 220 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz. In Tashkent, the power plugs and sockets are of type C and F.
- Languages: Uzbek, Russian, English
- Internet: Wi-fi is now available in tourist hotels and in many restaurants and cafes. Except for the desert, 3G and 4G connectivity is pretty good.
- Security: Fire service - 101; Police - 102; Ambulance - 103; MoES (Emergency situations) - 1050
- Tipping: Tipping in Uzbekistan is generally not expected. However, in bigger cities like Tashkent, tipping is a norm, though not compulsory.
- ATMs are not very reliable, it is best that you carry cash.
- If crossing international borders to enter into Uzbekistan, you will have to undergo trough checking. Do not bring any sensitive material with you.
Tashkent Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Tashkent. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Tashkent trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Tashkent
Overnight Tour of Samarkand and ShakhrisabzNew on TripHobo
4-Day Pearls of Uzbekistan Tour
Tashkent Airport & Train Station Pick Up & Drop Off
30 Mins18 Reviews
6 Hrs1 Reviews
Tashkent Walking Tour with Local Lady / Gentleman
2 Hrs 40 Mins18 Reviews
Tashkent Soviet Architecture (Modernism) and Subway station tour.
2 Hrs 15 Mins1 Reviews