Craters Of The Moon71 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 171 Karapiti Rd, Taupo 3377, New Zealand
- Timings: 08:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +64-0276564684
- Ticket Price: 8 NZD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Nature
‘Craters of the Moon’ is a part of the largest geothermal activity zone in New Zealand and covers an expanse of 25 square kilometres. The craters are named so since they create a rather ‘other world’ terrain- some carters are barren and some have vivid colours. These carters were formed by human activity in the area and today the shapes and sizes of these craters is constantly changing owing to the underground geological activities. The steaming vents are a highlight here and the whole area is known for giving off a strong odour of Sulphur.
The attraction was actually originally only a Blowhole that let off steam. It was discovered by Ferdinand von Hochstetter in 1859 and it evolved all through the 19th and 20th century. However, the biggest change in the profile of the geothermal vents happened in the 1950’s when the establishment of the Wairakei Power station reduced the pressure of the steam vents below the earth and currently, some of the fumaroles and carters show less activity compared to that in the 19th century.
Today, the place offers a close up view of the unearthly craters that are known for annual eruptions, fumaroles as wide as half a meter in diameter and a mud-pool where the water combines with the emitted Hydrogen Sulphide gas to form Sulphuric acid (do keep away from the pool!). The loop around the attraction takes around an hour to cover on foot- reaching to the lockout point that offers a rather unique panoramic view of the whole geothermal area.
Craters Of The Moon Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and wear clothes that are comfortable and hassle free.
- Good, sturdy shoes are a must!
Entrance Ticket Details For Craters Of The Moon
- Adults: NZD 8.00 per person
- Children: NZD 4.00 per child (5 to 15 years)
- Under 5 years - free
- Family Price: NZD 20 per family (2 adults & maximum of 4 children)
Craters Of The Moon Hours
- The place is open 364 days a year (closed on Christmas Day)
- Opening times: (Last entry one hour prior to closing time)
How to Reach Craters Of The Moon
- By Bus: Wairakei, 3377 (3.7 kilometers away)
- By Taxi
- By hiring a Push Bike.
- By Renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Taupo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Taupo and book an accommodation of your choice.