Great Lake Taupo, Nz15 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Tongariro St, Taupo 3330, New Zealand Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
The Great Lake Taupo is one of New Zealand’s most famous tourist spots and is also the largest freshwater lake in the Australasia region. The lake is formed on a Caldera (the depressed central part of a volcano after eruption) and covers an area of 616 square kilometres- making it the largest lake by area in the country!
The lake feeds the Waikato river and powers the hydroelectric power station placed at the river. The volcano where the lake is formed has erupted 28 times over a period of 27,00 years. Geothermal hot springs are located on the north and south side of the lake that are home to a variety of sponges and invertebrates. The lake is also home to fishes like Crayfish, Whitebait and a variety of Trout that were introduced here in the 19th century from Europe and California.
The lake has a historic significance and you can find a Maori rock carving on a cliff on the north side that is believed to protect Lake Taupo from volcanic eruptions. Fun fact: did you know the bed of the lake is owned by the Ngati Tuwharetoa tribe from the Te Arawa waka? They give free access to the public for recreational purposes.
Today, the lake’s beautiful scenery is what pulls tourists and if you are looking for a relaxing picnic or a tranquil recreational spot, the lake is just where you need to be.
Other highlights include:
- Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge held around the lake that takes around 4-10 hours to complete.
- Boating/ Kayaking to see the famous 10-meter high Maori carving.
Great Lake Taupo, Nz Travel Tips
- Carry food/snacks and drinking water with yourself.
- Sturdy shoes will help and if you want to camp here, carry your own tent along with other necessities.
How to Reach Great Lake Taupo, Nz
- By Bus: Mission Bay (Taupo)
- By Taxi
- By hiring a Push Bike.
- By Renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Taupo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Taupo and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Great Lake Taupo, Nz Address: Tongariro St, Taupo 3330, New Zealand
- Great Lake Taupo, Nz Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Great Lake Taupo, Nz(preferred time): 07:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Time required to visit Great Lake Taupo, Nz: 08:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!