The Taupo Museum relives the history of Taupo with vibrant exhibitions including beautiful Maori pieces, art collections, wood carvings, vintage everyday items, nautical exhibits, and a Kiwiana caravan that dates back to the 1960’s and looks like someone just climbed stepped out of it! The museum also hosts temporary art exhibitions and showcases excellent artworks including sculptures, photographs, paintings and fibre art by upcoming artists. The museum gives you a peak into the cultural and also the industrial life of Taupo using interactive technology and a brilliant portrayal of how the city evolved throughout its history.
The highlights of the place include:
- The gorgeously carved Maori meeting house
- A replica of a 19th century shop
- A Moa skeleton
- The virtual tour of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Don’t miss out on visiting the beautiful Rose Garden adjacent to the museum. The Ora Garden of Wellbeing at the courtyard that won the gold medal at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2004, is another highlight of the place. The garden is called a ‘living exhibit’ that is part of the permanent exhibition and is the perfect way to end your visit to the museum.
Entrance Ticket Details For Taupo Museum
- NZD 5 for adults.
- NZD 3 for seniors, tertiary students.
- Free to children, Taupo residents and ratepayers.
- Bus Tours and Group Tours : NZD 3 per head or NZD 5 per head includes a 15 minute tour/talk of the museum or the Ora Garden project by one of our friendly staff or Friends. Advanced bookings appreciated.
How to Reach Taupo Museum
- By Bus: Taupo i-Site
- By Taxi
- By hiring a Push Bike.
- By Renting a Car/ Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Taupo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Taupo and book an accommodation of your choice.