One of the most picturesque lands situated on the banks of a lake, town Taupo is definitely a must-visit place. The town is located in the centre of North Island of New Zealand. Packed with adventurous sports, this scenic place feeds your adrenaline. If you are up for some heart pumping and nerve racking experience then head towards Taupo. Sky-diving, bungee jumping, skiing, trekking, river-rafting - name any sport and you have it in Taupo. Taupo is also the favorite destination for fishers to catch trouts in the fresh waters of the lake.
Don’t be too disappointed if you aren’t much of a daredevil though, because Taupo has trails for a leisurely walk, natural hot pools for a de-stressing soak, and strikingly beautiful views just to drink in. So, if you are looking for a relaxed holiday with your family then Taupo is the ideal place for you.
Nothing short than a scenic beauty, the landscape of Taupo adorns beautiful colors of nature with each passing season.Taupo experiences cold and windy climate throughout the year with random rains at any time. So, it’s prudent that you carry warm clothes even if you are visiting the town in summer. While you can go to Taupo anytime round the year, Spring season is suggested to be the best time to visit the picture-perfect place. The weather will be mild and you will be welcomed by snow-clad mountains.
The town is known to be the events capital of New Zealand. From endurance sport events to head-banging concerts, Taupo is constantly buzzing with excitement. This has also helped Taupo tourism to flourish dynamically. People from across the boundaries flock to the town to witness the exciting and happening events of Taupo.
As Taupo is centrally located in the North Island of New Zealand, it is at a fair distance from its neighbourhood cities. You can easily reach the place without much hassle. Accommodation in Taupo is also at par, offering dorm rooms for tourists travelling on a budget to luxury resorts for the ones who have come to spend some leisurely time.
Loaded with adventurous as well as leisurely activities, ‘visiting Taupo’ should definitely be on your to-do bucket list.
Essential travel information and Taupo tips for your visit
Following are a few tips to make your stay in Taupo more pleasant.
General Info :
- Time-zone : UTC+12:00
- Currency : New Zealand dollar
- Electricity : The electric current in Taupo flows at a frequency of 50Hz and the voltage is 240 volts. Free wifi is provided at a few accommodations in Taupo.
- Languages : English, Maori
- Police station : 111 / 07 378 6060
- Fire/Ambulance : 111
- Coast Guard : 07 377 0400
- Hospital : 07 376 1000
- Taupo airport : +64 7-378 7771
Off-beaten tracks :
- Kuratau : Head west from lake Taupo to this pleasant place which is just perfect to lay back and relax.
- Kinloch : This is a bay to the west of Taupo town center where you can go jump off the rocks and swim leisurely.
- Acacia bay : this place is just 8 minutes out of Taupo and an ideal place for a gentle swim.
- Tokaanu : Head to this small village to watch the active geothermal areas and and have valuables inside it then remember to cover them and lock the car without fail. take a dip in the hot pools.
- Tipping isn’t customary in Taupo, but offering 10% or less gratuity will be much appreciated at restaurants and hotels.
- In case you have rented a car then carry your valuables along with you. If not feasible, cover them well and lock the car without fail.
- The weather in Taupo is cold and windy all throughout the year. So remember to pack warm clothes.
- If you are interested in fishing, then carrying your fishing license is a must.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Taupo
Save 4%Maori Rock Carving Cruise from Taupo12 Reviews
Duration: 1 Hrs 30 Mins
Daily Scenic Cruises Maori Rock CarvingsOur daily departing Scenic Cruises leave from the Taupo Boat Harbour on the Cruise C...
Save 4%Maori Rock Carvings Sailing Trip in Taupo16 Reviews
Duration: 2 Hrs 30 Mins
One of Lake Taupos best sailing experiences to the iconic Maori Rock Carvings since 1983! This all-year-round activity offers...
Save 4%Great Lake Taupo Mountain Bike and Kayak Package1 Reviews
Duration: 8 Hrs
Maori Rock Carvings PackageOur Great Lake Taupo Mountain Bike and Kayak Package is without a doubt the best way to experience...
Taupo Self-Guided Audio TourNew on TripHobo
Download a vibrantly-narrated mp3 audio guide combined with a map detailing the area of your tour.Enjoy the action packed cit...Book Now
Know the pollution level of Taupo before you plan your visit.
Water Pollution 25 (Low)
Pollution Index 3.45 (Very Low)
Health Care Index 86.11 (Very High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 9.13 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Taupo
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.27 USD
International Movie per seat 10.1 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 44.31 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 100.96 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 66.63 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.