Monastery Of PanagiaCurrently Open
- Address: Panagia, Thasos 640 04, Greece Map
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Monastery
With a balcony that offers panoramic views of the region and the Thrakiko Pelagos at the distance, the Monastery of Panagia can be accessed by a roadway lined with Olive groves and a forested area that shades the entire journey. This particular monastery dates back to 1813 and is popular for being home to only 1 male monk!
Walk around and you come across a mountain spring which was once the only springs that existed in the region. The icon of Virgin Mary that is placed at the monastery does not have any known source. However, it was once stolen from a monastery on mainland Greece by Pirates. Today, the icon is worshipped for its magical powers. Many people claim its healing powers and people often come here with a number of plates that depict particular body parts that they want to be healed. Walk to the roof of the monastery and you can find a number of lamps here made by devotees. Don’t forget to have a sip of the spring water before you leave the place- it is a tradition followed for years and is part of the experience. A few visitors even fill up water bottles with the spring water to take it back home to their relatives.
Monastery Of Panagia Hours
- Ask locals for opening hours of the monastery.
- The monastery is closed for visitors from 1.00 pm to 6.00 pm or from 2.00pm to 5.00 pm on some days.
How to Reach Monastery Of Panagia
- By Bus: Thassos Main Bus Station (around 9 kilometers away)
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bike/ Quad Bikes/ Scooter.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Thasos before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Thasos and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Monastery Of Panagia Address: Panagia, Thasos 640 04, Greece
- Time required to visit Monastery Of Panagia: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!